You need to Read the rules and Join the forums before you can post.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question about a rebuild/upgrade
08-25-2011, 08:42 AM,
Question about a rebuild/upgrade
I am turning back to look at my 3 year old rig to see where can I reinforce its performance in preparation for the set of releases this Fall, more specifically TES: Skyrim.

The basic specs for my machine are:
  • EVGA nForce 780i SLI
  • Intel Core 2 Q6600 2.4GHz OCd to about 3.0GHz
  • CORSAIR XMS2 4GB (dual 2GB) DDR2 800
  • 2x ZOTAC GeForce 9800 GTX 512mb (SLI)
  • Processor kept cool on Artic Cooler Freezer 7 Unit
  • Windows 7 Pro 64bit

I am looking into an SSD to use as a boot drive, but my main questions is regarding the Memory and video. Should I be trying to pickup more RAM? Faster RAM?

I am also a not very sure if one of the current-gen video cards will do better than the two 9800s. I know it will be less power and less heat, but something about "upgrading" SLI to a single card doesn't feel right, but right now I cannot budget for two cards. My main contender is the Sapphire HD 6870. Picking up an nVidia card will allow me to upgrade back to SLI later, but frankly nothing by nVidia right now really stands out in that $170 card range. Anything out there at that range is faster and likely has more on-board RAM than the individual 9800 cards, plus it likely runs DX11.

I am open to suggestions
08-25-2011, 09:18 AM,
RE: Question about a rebuild/upgrade
An SSD and more RAM are quick and easy ways to speed up a system. As to the video upgrade I'll bow to some of the forums resident experts.
08-25-2011, 11:04 AM,
You really have plenty of RAM, and DDR2 is too expensive to justify purchasing more. Your CPU is probably the bottleneck at this point, 9800 GTXs in SLI should be able to handle most modern games on high settings.
Your friendly forum administrator.
08-25-2011, 11:22 AM,
Is this a bottleneck that I should try to bypass via overclocking? or am I looking at a newer processor like a Yorksfield Q9505?
08-25-2011, 11:43 AM,
Overclocking may give you a small performance boost, but I definitely wouldn't buy a processor that's two generations old at this point. If you upgraded your motherboard to P67 you would have a lot more options, but it would also cost a lot since you would need a new CPU + RAM.
Your friendly forum administrator.