You need to Read the rules and Join the forums before you can post.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Crashing during Game Sessions & Blue Screen of death
08-18-2011, 08:20 AM,
Crashing during Game Sessions & Blue Screen of death
Hello.

I built a gaming pc using the tips from this website. It was a great experience. The pc rocks when it is running, but it crashes too often and I decided it was time to post some info to see if I could find help fixing the problem.

Asus P8P67 Dleuxe
i7 2600k
Corsair Vengeance 8gb 1600mhz DDR3
Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 7200RPM
HiS HD 6950 Turbo 2GB

I get 2 differnt crashes on this machine.

1. The Graphics Drivers have recovered from and error. When I get this crash message, whatever game I was playing continues to run but I am placed onto the desktop and will have to force close the game and start over. Yes, I have the latest drivers installed.

2. I get the blue screen of death stating that the system is shutting down to avoid damage.

The PC will crash about once for every 2 hours of gameplay.
I have not changed any of the bios settings, just have it all set to auto detect / default.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
08-18-2011, 12:43 PM,
RE: Crashing during Game Sessions & Blue Screen of death
Sounds like you might be having overheating issues.

Here's what to check:
For video card temperature:
After playing a game for at least 15 mins, switch back to your desktop. Right-click on your desktop, select AMD Vision Engine Control Center. Go to the Performance tab, select Overdrive. Tell me what temperature you're seeing there.

For the CPU:
Download Speedfan. Report the CPU and Core temperatures, during gaming as well.
Laptop: MSI GS30 Shadow-045 Dimensions: 12.6" x 8.9" x 0.8" 2.65lbs CPU: Intel Core i7-4870HQ Quad-Core + Hyper-Threading OC 2.5-3.9GHz RAM: 16GB DDR3 1600MHz Video Card: Intel Iris Pro 5200 Storage: 2x128GB SDD RAID0 Audio: ASUS Xonar U3 USB Sound Card + Audio-Technica ATH-M50 headphones Screen: 13.3" - 1920 x 1080 IPS + 27" Dell P2715Q IPS 3840 x 2160 Keyboard: Filco Majestouch MX Cherry Blue Mouse: Logitech MX518
08-18-2011, 02:18 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-18-2011, 02:50 PM by Merciless 510.)
Thanks for the response.

I will try the program you suggested and reply again with the report, however I know that overheating is not the problem. I have visually checked the temps as you have suggested when I first built the machine and it runs quite cool.

So it's gotta be something else. However I will run the excersise and report the numbers in a hour or so.

Thanks.

68c after 10 minutes playing Metro 2033. The game crashed giving me the error message that the video drivers recovered from an error. I have multiple case fans and the Video Card fan never idles up during long game session. I don't believe heat is the problem.
08-18-2011, 04:51 PM,
Run furmark to check if graphics card is good or not
http://www.ozone3d.net/benchmarks/fur/

Run prime 95 to check system stability

Are you doing any overclocking?
Laptop: MacBook Pro 13"
Case: Drawer turned to case CPU: Intel Core i3 2100 CPU Cooler: Stock brah GPU: EVGA GTX 460 HDD: Corsair Nova 32GB Motherboard: GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3 Z68 RAM: Ripjaw 8GB 1600 Optical Drive: Don't need PSU: 620W Antec Neo ECO. Operating System: OS X Lion/ Windows 7x64
08-18-2011, 09:59 PM,
My gut inclination is with a bad RAM chip. Run memtest (burn it to a CD, boot to it). Let it run for a few hours, but CPU problems could also be a definite possibility as a cause of these issues.
08-24-2011, 12:31 PM,
I am just wondering, why would he be given a graphics driver error if the ram was bad? Unless it is the ram that is on the card. I put my thoughts on the graphics card. If the computer only does this during game play then I dont know how it would be anything else. Does the computer run fine just sitting idle? Can you do anything else to try and get it to work? Again these tests would tell us more.

Tier 6-Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel Case/ASRock P67 EXTREME4 G Intel Motherboard/Antec 620W 80+/Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache/CORSAIR 120mm Dual-Fan CPU Cooler/G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2133 (PC3 17000)/SAPPHIRE 100314-3L Radeon HD 6870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card/SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 1TB 7200 RPM Internal Hard Dri/ASUS DRW-24B1ST/24X DVD Burner
08-30-2011, 10:01 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-30-2011, 10:04 PM by Jorgisven.)
Well, the possibility of a compound diagnosis might be here, but it's pretty uncommon and difficult to sort out unless you isolate some variables. Running Memtest would allow you to isolate things completely (no drivers, no GPU, just CPU and memory). Doing a CPU intensive test will also allow for a heat check at the same time. The first error is almost certainly related to the GPU, however, when presented with the second error as well (usually CPU related due to heat), my inclination is to check for something lower-level in the system; RAM is something of a common denominator, as is the motherboard (but there aren't really conclusive motherboard tests to run, simply process of elimination). So by running Memtest, my thought was to eliminate as many low-level system components as possible with a fairly easy-to-run test that doesn't involve much digging for drivers, troubleshooting, or whatever. Just set it and forget it.

Perhaps it's not RAM at all, but it's where I would personally start looking. Doing all that mucking around with drivers and software can be a PITA by repetitive guess and check. Running some very specific, isolated, and controlled tests can help streamline that. I find eliminating windows (via a boot disk) can be a big step towards isolating hardware from software issues. (and no, I'm not suggesting running memtest to check for bad RAM chips on the GPU). Barring these tests, it's almost certainly GPU-related. Temps, as mentioned, will help. You can also try using CPUID to get some core CPU temps - but the GPU is likely what we're after for the temp culprit (unless you're also heavily overclocking something, in which case, your north bridge may be cooking).