You need to Read the rules and Join the forums before you can post.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Build critique for a first timer - input welcome!
08-14-2011, 01:55 PM,
Build critique for a first timer - input welcome!
Hi guys,

This is my first build, been going back and forth between building the thing myself due to time and convenience (and worry that I'll mess something up). I think I'm going to take the leap and build myself though - the cheapest pre-made build I could find would run me about 2000 and I think I can do quite a bit cheaper on my own.

Use: Optimize for gaming - haven't got the monitor yet but probably gonna get around a 27' one. I'd like to be able to play games at highest settings for the forseeable future, especially the upcoming BF3/MW3/Skyrim. Dunno if I'm gonna be able to manage that or not but I guess we'll see.

Again I'm extremely in-experienced at this, I've been trying to educate myself but right now I think I need input on several areas.

GPU: EVGA 015-P3-1582-AR GeForce GTX 580 SuperClocked Video Card

-I went with this for good performance now, but I want to leave open the possibility of adding another for SLI in the future, so for everything below I'd like to plan for that as well.

CPU: Intel Core i7-2600K 3.4-3,8GHz Turbo HT Unlocked Multiplier

CPU Cooler: Corsair CWCH50-1 Hydro H50 CPU Liquid Cooler

Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth P67 B3 TUF Edition Motherboard
OR ASUS P8P67 Deluxe B3 Intel P67 Motherboard

- Having a hard time deciding between these two, or if anyone has alternatives in a similar price.

Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8 GB ( 2 x 4 GB ) DDR3 1600 MHz (PC3 12800)

Hard Drive: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB

-Considering adding a SSD for booting, likely the Crucial M4 64GB SSD or something similar, but I might cut it out to save a bit.

Optical Drive: Sony BD-5300S-0B 12X Blu-Ray and DVD Burner/Player

Power Supply: Cooler Master RSA00-AMBAJ3-US Silent Pro M 1000W Power Supply - ATX, Modular, 1000 Watt, 80+ Bronze Certified, SLI, 135mm Ultra Silent Fan

Case: Cooler Master HAF 922M ATX Black Mid-Tower Case - 5 External 5.25" Drive Bays, 5 Internal 3.5" Drive Bays, 2 200mm Fans, 1 120mm Fan

Sound/Network Cards: Stock

Extras: I'm planning to add in some LED lights like these http://www.xoxide.com/nzxt-sleeved-led1m-white.html

I'm also going to get some thermal compound and possibly other cooling fans if you guys feel I should, I definitely want to err on the side of caution for that stuff, so any recommendations would be great.

Here's the main areas I could use some help

- Heat management - I plan to overclock the CPU but not go crazy with it, to be honest I'm such a noob that I don't know what level of that would work for my needs. Same goes for the GPU. So I'm wondering if I need more fans or different ones to replace the stock ones from the case.

- Power supply - Is 1000w good for my needs? (if I add in another gtx580?)

- Case - I've read good things about the HAF 922 case, but I dunno if it wll be too small or cramped, especially considering the possibility of another GTX 580 down the road. Should I go for the full size case? I'd rather stick with the smaller one if I can manage it, but I'd like to ask the experts what you recommend.

-One other thing I'd like to do is replace the red front fan LED on the case with a blue one, hopefully that isn't too complicated for a first time builder

-Anything else that I've missed or that you guys think would benefit this build? One thing I considered adding was a fan control unit on the front like this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6811992004 I'm worried about the mixed reviews and trouble hooking it up properly. Any advice on the best way be to control the fans, etc. in a build like this?

Thanks for bearing with me, I know I threw a lot of questions out there, so seriously thanks so much for any help or input! I'm basically just going off what I've read here and elsewhere, so any suggestions for the build would be great!

Matt

08-14-2011, 02:05 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-14-2011, 02:07 PM by Brian.)
RE: Build critique for a first timer - input welcome!
Heat management: I'd recommend the Corsair A70 CPU cooler, it's better. I haven't had the time to explicitly recommend against AIO water coolers if you have a large case, but I'll do that soon.

Power supply: 1000W is adequate, but two GTX 580 is the definition of insanity.

This is WAY overkill unless you're running gaming on three monitors at once.

Case: Full sized case would really be better with that massive heat output.

Replacing fan: Yeah you'll be able to do that. Or you can just buy the blue version here.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6811119213

Fan controller: This is the one I personally have, and I'd recommend it.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6811998091

Furthermore, I'd STRONGLY RECOMMEND against getting Corsair Vengeance RAM. It has uselessly tall heatsinks.
Case: Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced CPU: Intel Core i7 2600K CPU Cooler: Thermalright Silver Arrow CPU TIM: Thermalright Chill Factor III GPU: Sapphire Radeon 6970 VGA Cooler: Arctic Cooling Accelero Xtreme Plus SSD: Crucial M4 256GB HDD: Samsung F3 1TB Motherboard: ASRock P67 PRO3 RAM: 4x4GB (16GB) Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600MHz Optical Drive: ASUS 24X PSU: 550W Kingwin Lazer 80 Plus Platinum Fan Controller: Scythe Kaze Q12 Sound Card: Asus Xonar Essence STX Keyboard: Rosewill RK-9000 Cherry MX Blue Mouse: Logitech G500 Monitor: Sceptre 27"
08-14-2011, 02:32 PM,
(08-14-2011, 02:05 PM)Brian Wrote: Heat management: I'd recommend the Corsair A70 CPU cooler, it's better. I haven't had the time to explicitly recommend against AIO water coolers if you have a large case, but I'll do that soon.

Replacing fan: Yeah you'll be able to do that. Or you can just buy the blue version here.

Furthermore, I'd STRONGLY RECOMMEND against getting Corsair Vengeance RAM. It has uselessly tall heatsinks.

Awesome, thanks Brian! I'll go with the corsair cooler, and that blue LED case definitely helps solve that problem, so I probably will switch to the full size.

Which RAM would you recommend? Would Patriot 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1600MHz work?

Assuming I went with the full size case, would I need to get any other fans or cooling systems?

Thanks so much for your help!

Matt
08-14-2011, 02:53 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-14-2011, 02:56 PM by Phrosty.)
From what i can see is the Patriot 8GB is the last step before you get to the Kingston 16GB (4x4GB) DDR3 1600MHz Which is 125.

Edit - Then again I am no expert so who knows if I am correct Wink
Here are some links you may find useful.
Forum Rules - Introduce Yourself - Things to know before asking a question
08-14-2011, 03:02 PM,
(08-14-2011, 02:32 PM)mgator320 Wrote:
(08-14-2011, 02:05 PM)Brian Wrote: Heat management: I'd recommend the Corsair A70 CPU cooler, it's better. I haven't had the time to explicitly recommend against AIO water coolers if you have a large case, but I'll do that soon.

Awesome, thanks Brian! I'll go with the corsair cooler, and that blue LED case definitely helps solve that problem, so I probably will switch to the full size.

Which RAM would you recommend? Would Patriot 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1600MHz work?

Assuming I went with the full size case, would I need to get any other fans or cooling systems?

Thanks so much for your help!

Matt

Nope, it has a lot of cooling already. Just make sure the RAM isn't too tall.
Case: Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced CPU: Intel Core i7 2600K CPU Cooler: Thermalright Silver Arrow CPU TIM: Thermalright Chill Factor III GPU: Sapphire Radeon 6970 VGA Cooler: Arctic Cooling Accelero Xtreme Plus SSD: Crucial M4 256GB HDD: Samsung F3 1TB Motherboard: ASRock P67 PRO3 RAM: 4x4GB (16GB) Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600MHz Optical Drive: ASUS 24X PSU: 550W Kingwin Lazer 80 Plus Platinum Fan Controller: Scythe Kaze Q12 Sound Card: Asus Xonar Essence STX Keyboard: Rosewill RK-9000 Cherry MX Blue Mouse: Logitech G500 Monitor: Sceptre 27"