You need to Read the rules and Join the forums before you can post.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AMD Driver Problems
08-13-2011, 04:57 PM,
AMD Driver Problems
Hey all,
I'm wondering whether anybody has experience in dealing with AMD drivers. I recently had two 6850s in crossfire, downloaded the latest catalyst drivers from the AMD website, and tried playing some games. On startup for Fallout: NV, it said it would choose the optimal play settings for me, and set everything to the lowest possible. I set everything to max and it played at a smooth 60 fps. Same things with GTA4. The Witcher said my computer didn't meet the minimum requirements and wouldn't let me play.
Since then I have switched back to my old GTX260 and sold the 6850s to help towards getting a GTX580, but I feel like I am not the only one who could have this dilemma, and I would like to be able to help any of my AMD-inclined friends with problems.
Would it be corrupted driver software? Because I feel like one 6850 would be detected as more capable than the games were saying. Or was I missing other drivers that weren't the Catalyst ones? I have never used AMD in the past so it's really confusing me.
If anybody has had the same problem or just knows a solution, that would be good knowledge to pass on to the guy who bought my 6850s...
As for me, I'm sticking to Team Green and their (mostly) reliable drivers.
CPU: Intel i5 2500k @ 4.4GHz CPU Cooler: Thermalright Silver Arrow Mobo: MSI P67A-G43 GPU: EVGA GTX 580 + BFG GTX 260 RAM: 4x4GB Patriot G2 DDR3 1333MHz SSD: Crucial M4 64GB HDD: 750 GB WD Caviar Black, 640 GB WD Caviar Black, 500 GB Seagate Barracuda PSU: Corsair CMPSU-650TX 650W Case: Coolermaster HAF 922 Sound Card Asus Xonar DX Monitor: I-Inc 27" 1920x1200
08-15-2011, 03:51 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-16-2011, 01:11 PM by Jorgisven.)
RE: AMD Driver Problems
(08-13-2011, 04:57 PM)Slagathor Wrote: Hey all,
I'm wondering whether anybody has experience in dealing with AMD drivers. I recently had two 6850s in crossfire, downloaded the latest catalyst drivers from the AMD website, and tried playing some games. On startup for Fallout: NV, it said it would choose the optimal play settings for me, and set everything to the lowest possible. I set everything to max and it played at a smooth 60 fps. Same things with GTA4. The Witcher said my computer didn't meet the minimum requirements and wouldn't let me play.
Since then I have switched back to my old GTX260 and sold the 6850s to help towards getting a GTX580, but I feel like I am not the only one who could have this dilemma, and I would like to be able to help any of my AMD-inclined friends with problems.
Would it be corrupted driver software? Because I feel like one 6850 would be detected as more capable than the games were saying. Or was I missing other drivers that weren't the Catalyst ones? I have never used AMD in the past so it's really confusing me.
If anybody has had the same problem or just knows a solution, that would be good knowledge to pass on to the guy who bought my 6850s...
As for me, I'm sticking to Team Green and their (mostly) reliable drivers.

Please ensure your integrated graphics (if applicable) are completely disabled. Many programs check that first, and then don't look any further, but in game, your primary drivers would get used (confusing, I know). EDIT: You would need to disable the integrated graphics in the BIOS. (if your board uses them)

Also, check the ReadMe's for those games and see if the 6850 has any crossfire issues.

As for Witcher, it's likely not your card. It's Witcher. Patch Witcher to 1.2 or later and do a goofy fix that sets a flag to not check for minimum system requirements. http://en.thewitcher.com/forum/index.php...nt-issues/

Hope that info is helpful.
08-15-2011, 07:03 PM,
RE: AMD Driver Problems
It's also a good idea to make sure that you have the latest ATI Catalyst Application Profiles, which are specifically designed for Crossfire users. They are found on the same page as the Catalyst drivers.
Laptop: MSI GS30 Shadow-045 Dimensions: 12.6" x 8.9" x 0.8" 2.65lbs CPU: Intel Core i7-4870HQ Quad-Core + Hyper-Threading OC 2.5-3.9GHz RAM: 16GB DDR3 1600MHz Video Card: Intel Iris Pro 5200 Storage: 2x128GB SDD RAID0 Audio: ASUS Xonar U3 USB Sound Card + Audio-Technica ATH-M50 headphones Screen: 13.3" - 1920 x 1080 IPS + 27" Dell P2715Q IPS 3840 x 2160 Keyboard: Filco Majestouch MX Cherry Blue Mouse: Logitech MX518