You need to Read the rules and Join the forums before you can post.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Please Help I am new and think I know the problem
08-11-2011, 10:55 PM,
Please Help I am new and think I know the problem
Hi All,

I am having a little trouble and I desperately need help :/ This is my first build and I am having 2 huge problems:

1. When I power up my monitor fails to recognize a signal from my PC- therefore I do not have access to my BIOS.
2. When I turned on my CPU fan does a half revolution and then dies and does not spin.

My build is essentially the tier 2 build from this site found at this link - I did upgrade to 8 GB of RAM and threw in the Hyper 212 cooler.

I feel like I've done my homework and I've made three conclusions:

1. It could be that my monitor fails to recognize my PC because my PSU could be misaligned and/or my pins could be bent (I struggled to get my cooler on and had a really difficult time getting my PSU to stick and to mount my cooling unit) - It's also possible that because of my earlier difficulty that my motherboard is damaged.
2. I am using a Hyper 212 Mastercooler cooling unit, which from my research causes the fan to not spin unless a specified heat level is reached by the core.
3. I could be shorting out because my motherboard is somehow grounded to the frame.

I have been troubleshooting all three options and I' am now desperate to figure out what is wrong! I've taken everything a part and have put it all back together again. I've also ran just the essentials (CPU, Card, Fan, Power) without any changes. If I did ruin the PSU or the motherboard I'd rather not have to buy both of them just to ensure I have good equipment Sad

Any suggestions?

THANK YOU!
Big Grin

08-12-2011, 06:10 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-12-2011, 06:11 AM by Andrew J.)
RE: Please Help I am new and think I know the problem
It sounds like either a short somewhere, a faulty PSU or a faulty motherboard.

Have you tried running the PSU + motherboard + CPU (+ cooler) + RAM outside of the case?

Also make sure your 4 pin power plug is plugged in to the motherboard.
Your friendly forum administrator.
08-12-2011, 05:18 PM,
Hi Andrew.

Thanks for your help! I haven't tried running the stripped down version out of the case and went ahead and removed it per your advice.

Right now it's out with the Hyper cooler on the CPU, PSU plugged in (with the 4 pin as always), One RAM-4GB card in the 1 slot, and the motherboard out and sitting on non-conductive surface. I plugged in the monitor as well and booted it up with the same results :/

Would it make sense to take it all a part and to put it back together and to try this again? I am still at a loss as I realize at this point it could be the mobo, the PSU (and it's placement), or the RAM card. It would really blow to have to buy all of those pieces again!

08-12-2011, 06:10 PM,
It's not the RAM. It's either the PSU or the motherboard then, you don't happen to have a spare PSU or motherboard to test with do you?
08-12-2011, 08:05 PM,
(08-12-2011, 06:10 PM)Andrew J Wrote: It's not the RAM. It's either the PSU or the motherboard then, you don't happen to have a spare PSU or motherboard to test with do you?

Unfortunately no Confused However... I took off the Hyper 212 and placed the factory CPU fan on the unit and the fan came right on, no problem. That makes me think that it isn't the motherboard. Thoughts?

I am also placing only one 4GB RAM in the 1st slot vs using all 8GB of RAM in slots 1 & 2- not sure if that would affect it either.

So at this point I just need the BIOS to come up. I am using the DVI plug into an LCD HD TV. Again, not sure if that makes any difference (I would assume not).

08-13-2011, 06:48 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-13-2011, 06:49 AM by Andrew J.)
The fan came on, but it still didn't POST? Are you getting any beeps at boot?
08-13-2011, 10:30 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-13-2011, 11:30 AM by Sahellio.)
(08-13-2011, 06:48 AM)Andrew J Wrote: The fan came on, but it still didn't POST? Are you getting any beeps at boot?

That is correct. I plugged in some speakers into the mobo and i don't hear anything from the board at all.

I also double checked my monitor and I am able to project my mac easily onto the large screen.

Would a bad CPU cause this type of error?
Here is something else I found interesting. I went onto Gigabytes website (to troubleshoot my beep problem) and I found a list of compatible RAM... http://download.gigabyte.us/FileList/Mem...mt-s2p.pdf

On the build list it Ok'd a G.SKILL 8GB DDR3 1333 with the model number F3-10600CL9D-8GBNT

I just checked that list and the only DDR3 1333 that comes close to that model is the G.Skill 2GB F3-10666CL8D-4GBECO.

Could this also be my problem?
08-13-2011, 02:22 PM,
Well you could try just taking the RAM out and seeing what happens but I highly doubt it.
08-13-2011, 02:42 PM,
(08-13-2011, 02:22 PM)Andrew J Wrote: Well you could try just taking the RAM out and seeing what happens but I highly doubt it.

Yep. I took out the RAM entirely and got the same results with no beeps or anything. Would that mean the board is bad? I can't find any documentation on beep codes or anything for my motherboard.

I am sort of at a loss at this point :/ can't really think of what to do besides replace both the mobo and the CPU.
08-13-2011, 03:03 PM,
It does sounds like a bad board. CPUs are very, very rarely defective unless you damaged it with static accidentally.