You need to Read the rules and Join the forums before you can post.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dust. Does anyone (else) consider it when buying a case?
08-11-2011, 11:47 AM,
Question  Dust. Does anyone (else) consider it when buying a case?
Just asking. I was asking about the TT Level 10 GT in an earlier question, but the bigger question really is: Am I the only person who worries about a bunch of dust getting on their computer components?
If not, how are people handling it, are you using HEPA air filters or vacuuming out the computer? If not are you (like me) searching for cases with good filters on them?

For me, we have cats, they like to hang around the (warm) computer so I have always went with cases that have good dust filters on them so I only have to vacuum off the filters.
08-11-2011, 12:03 PM,
RE: Dust. Does anyone (else) consider it when buying a case?
I'm not very concerned with dust.
Case: Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced CPU: Intel Core i7 2600K CPU Cooler: Thermalright Silver Arrow CPU TIM: Thermalright Chill Factor III GPU: Sapphire Radeon 6970 VGA Cooler: Arctic Cooling Accelero Xtreme Plus SSD: Crucial M4 256GB HDD: Samsung F3 1TB Motherboard: ASRock P67 PRO3 RAM: 4x4GB (16GB) Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600MHz Optical Drive: ASUS 24X PSU: 550W Kingwin Lazer 80 Plus Platinum Fan Controller: Scythe Kaze Q12 Sound Card: Asus Xonar Essence STX Keyboard: Rosewill RK-9000 Cherry MX Blue Mouse: Logitech G500 Monitor: Sceptre 27"
08-11-2011, 02:44 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-11-2011, 02:44 PM by Andrew J.)
Compressed air is your friend. Anyways my case (Antec 902) has dust filters on all the intake fans which I clean every other month or so.
Your friendly forum administrator.
08-11-2011, 03:13 PM,
Let me ask the same question in a different way and see if it sheds any light: When racing a hot rod, do you worry about dirt getting under the hood?

Not really, but do you then let it sit for 12 months without cleaning it?

At one point, I found an old breather filter at autozone that fit 120mm fans PERFECTLY, and they were like $3 a piece, and I could get them almost anywhere. What I found is they certainly trapped a lot of dust, but also raised my temps.

I have two cats as well. The front of my Antec 900 gets covered in cat hair at least once a week, and I wipe it off with a rag when I do my weekly cleaning (dusting, wiping down the desk, etc.).

The internals? About once a month, I take a can of compressed air to my radiator (Hydro H50), and maybe dust out my GPU. Once every 6 months or so, I take it to a friend's house who has a high-powered compressor and blow the whole case out and it looks like brand new almost.

Maybe once every year or two, I do a complete gut and rebuild, cleaning as best I can with a compressor in the garage (you can rent them), and usually do some upgrades then as well.

What I do is probably way overkill, but I enjoy fussing around inside my computer.
08-11-2011, 03:38 PM,
Don't put it near carpet. I have hard wood floor which I sweep very often.
At college dorm, I put my case on a table away from the ground.
Laptop: MacBook Pro 13"
Case: Drawer turned to case CPU: Intel Core i3 2100 CPU Cooler: Stock brah GPU: EVGA GTX 460 HDD: Corsair Nova 32GB Motherboard: GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3 Z68 RAM: Ripjaw 8GB 1600 Optical Drive: Don't need PSU: 620W Antec Neo ECO. Operating System: OS X Lion/ Windows 7x64