You need to Read the rules and Join the forums before you can post.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
If I'm Forced to Upgrade Now...
07-29-2011, 08:11 PM,
RE: If I'm Forced to Upgrade Now...
The faucet.
Case: Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced CPU: Intel Core i7 2600K CPU Cooler: Thermalright Silver Arrow CPU TIM: Thermalright Chill Factor III GPU: Sapphire Radeon 6970 VGA Cooler: Arctic Cooling Accelero Xtreme Plus SSD: Crucial M4 256GB HDD: Samsung F3 1TB Motherboard: ASRock P67 PRO3 RAM: 4x4GB (16GB) Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600MHz Optical Drive: ASUS 24X PSU: 550W Kingwin Lazer 80 Plus Platinum Fan Controller: Scythe Kaze Q12 Sound Card: Asus Xonar Essence STX Keyboard: Rosewill RK-9000 Cherry MX Blue Mouse: Logitech G500 Monitor: Sceptre 27"
07-29-2011, 08:18 PM,
Fair enough. I'm holding off on the mobo, etc. until tomorrow, when my friend is available to idiot-proof things for me. Thanks for the advice!
07-30-2011, 02:47 PM,
Awesome!!! and i might look at this very closely/. i like the budget 800$+
07-30-2011, 07:53 PM,
Phew! Everything is in, and the monster powered up just fine after a momentary confusion on the front panel leads. I can't get to the BIOS, however, because this message keeps popping up:

"Reboot and select proper boot device
or insert boot media in selected boot device"

I'm assuming there's something wrong with how I hooked up the SATA and power cables to the HDD, but I'm not sure how to remedy it. Everything looks like it's in the right place. Thoughts?
07-30-2011, 08:00 PM,
Make sure your CD/DVD drive is the first in boot order so you can install Windows or whatnot.
Your friendly forum administrator.
07-30-2011, 08:48 PM,
Ah, that did it. Windows is installed! I'm going to do some cable management and double-check my work. Everything appears to be in order, so the next time you hear from me I'll be posting with the new rig set up on my desk instead of this smelly old Dell!

...man, am I ever sick of swapping the monitor from here to the floor...Dodgy
Up and running! I noticed in the BIOS, however, that the CPU was idling between 50-60 Celsius. It doesn't appear to be running that hot when I pass my hand near it, but I could be wrong.

There was thermal compound on the bottom of the fan when I put it on; is that temperature range normal for the i5-2500, or should I be troubleshooting? I'm downloading speedfan as we speak, to keep an eye on things.
Hm...Speedfan says it's in the low 40 range. I trust that more than the HW monitor from the BIOS.

Two new problems, though: yay! First:

I'm getting a constant message of something being plugged/unplugged from the audio jack when my headphones are in. This happened immediately following an install and immediate uninstall of AdAware, but I have no idea if that's related.

Second: the GPU is not recognized! The system is running the mobo's crappy on-board stuff instead. Can't believe I didn't notice before, but I don't think the fans are even spinning. I'd hate to have to take this apart again, but I probably don't have a choice...I know I connected the power, so what could be causing that?
Rolleyes
That's a lot of posts by me in a short span. Yikes.

Anyway, I'm happy to announce that all the above problems have been resolved (mostly)! The GPU was indeed getting power, it was just missing its driver because I spaced it.

The sound thing I "fixed" by turning off the notifications, but I'm wondering if there's a way to solve the cause rather than the symptom?