You need to Read the rules and Join the forums before you can post.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Monitor for Xbox and Laptop
06-26-2011, 11:21 PM,
Monitor for Xbox and Laptop
Hello all, I am currently gearing up to upgrade my room by adding a 21.5" monitor so that I can connect my laptop as well as my Xbox 360 to it. I have a pair of standard Dell speakers that only have a 3.5mm auxiliary plug, which I plug into my laptop currently. What I want to know is how I will go about connecting my Xbox to the speakers and monitor at the same time. Also if monitor recommendations are welcome, as long as they are under $150. Thanks guys!
Nobody has any ideas? I am planning on upgrading very soon and I need help!
06-27-2011, 11:11 PM,
RE: Monitor for Xbox and Laptop
Well, if the monitor has an audio out port then you can simply plug the speakers into that, but I doubt you would be asking this question if your monitor had an audio out port. Does the xbox connect through hdmi or component (YPbPr stuff)?

If its hdmi, you might be out of luck unless you buy some sort of hdmi splitter to specifically get the audio.

As for the component, I guess it could be possible. You would probably need a combination of items like these though:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...-_-Product

(I have no clue if this above is compatible with component cables)

and

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...-_-Product

I honestly don't have any clue if this will work/are the cables you need. I would hope that someone with a little more audio knowledge offers their two cents lol.
06-28-2011, 11:05 AM,
So if I got this monitor, would it be able to be connected to the speakers using the 3.5mm adapter you mentioned? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6824262011
06-28-2011, 04:38 PM,
How are you connecting the xbox to that monitor (for video)? With that monitor I'm not sure you will be able to, unless there's some bizarre component to dvi/vga adapter out there.

I also think that the audio port is only audio in (take sound from PC to play through the built-in speakers) and not audio out.

In all honesty, I think you might need a TV and not a monitor lol. I would ask around though, I'm not any sort of audio connection expert.
06-28-2011, 04:41 PM,
Ah well if I got that monitor I would be using HDMI to DVI
06-28-2011, 05:08 PM, (This post was last modified: 06-28-2011, 05:55 PM by anubis.)
Ok, in that case I'm not sure what you can do (thats cheap). Try looking around for a HDMI to DVI+audio convertor. Not sure if any really exist that are cheap.

EDIT: Just a thought, does the xbox have an audio out port? (If you couldn't tell, I've never owned a xbox Tongue)
06-28-2011, 06:28 PM,
Check to see if the Xbox has a digital audio out port. That's the only thing I can think of that would give you audio.