You need to Read the rules and Join the forums before you can post.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tower makes strange noise then monitor crashes
06-16-2011, 05:35 PM, (This post was last modified: 06-16-2011, 05:51 PM by teoff.)
Tower makes strange noise then monitor crashes
I built a computer in January and besides a problem I myself created in March involving my hard drive, I've had no real issues. However, the first day I got my replacement hard drive, after being on my PC for a bit the computer made a strange noise and crashed. But, it did not do it again. This was early April and now we're in mid-June and it just now is returning.

It has done it every day the last 4 or so days, sometimes multiple times a day. The computer makes a strange noise. Sometimes it's low, light, just sounds like a fan going into hyper-drive, other times it's loud, especially if I'm listening to music when it crashes, but it's made this loud noise without music being played too. It makes this horrible like, I'm not sure how to precisely explain it. Like a CHHHHHRRRRR. The tower lights remain on but the monitor goes out, goes black, says no VGA cable connected. The tower seems fine but I don't know if the PC remained on or not, it's the only monitor I have. The only choice to reconnect it at this point is to turn off the computer completely and restart.

Everything seems plugged up fine, I've blown out all the dust, all my drivers are up to date. Hardware issue? But I'm not sure what. The hard drive? Video card? My video card is the MSI GeForce GTX 460, and I have a 1TB Samsung hard drive.
06-16-2011, 08:32 PM,
RE: Tower makes strange noise then monitor crashes
I'm not exactly sure about what's wrong with your computer but here are a few steps that you could take to find out the exact problem.

1. Make sure your sata cables are connected tightly. If the problem persists then try to use a different port for the hard drive. Something similar happened to me because one of my sata port went bad.

2. Try to run memtest86 to see if your ram is working properly or not. http://www.memtest86.com/

3. There's also OCCT test to check your CPU, GPU, ram. http://www.ocbase.com/perestroika_en/index.php?Download
Laptop: MacBook Pro 13"
Case: Drawer turned to case CPU: Intel Core i3 2100 CPU Cooler: Stock brah GPU: EVGA GTX 460 HDD: Corsair Nova 32GB Motherboard: GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3 Z68 RAM: Ripjaw 8GB 1600 Optical Drive: Don't need PSU: 620W Antec Neo ECO. Operating System: OS X Lion/ Windows 7x64
06-17-2011, 05:33 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-17-2011, 05:33 AM by Andrew J.)
Isn't this almost certainly a failing hard drive, considering that you only had this problem after you replaced your hard drive?
Your friendly forum administrator.
06-17-2011, 04:45 PM, (This post was last modified: 06-17-2011, 04:45 PM by teoff.)
Most likely, Andrew.

I'll try what van suggested and thank you for the help, but if that doesn't show results, it's just gotten to the point I'm ready to send it back in for another replacement HDD. It just weirded me out how it's gone two months being perfectly fine and now goes psycho on me.
06-17-2011, 06:01 PM,
What's the model of the hard drive that you have?
Case: Drawer turned to case CPU: Intel Core i3 2100 CPU Cooler: Stock brah GPU: EVGA GTX 460 HDD: Corsair Nova 32GB Motherboard: GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3 Z68 RAM: Ripjaw 8GB 1600 Optical Drive: Don't need PSU: 620W Antec Neo ECO. Operating System: OS X Lion/ Windows 7x64
06-18-2011, 09:10 PM, (This post was last modified: 06-18-2011, 09:12 PM by teoff.)
SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB, purchased in January. Replaced it on March after I accidentally messed some settings up on it in msconfig concerning it reverting my RAM to the blazing fast max of 260MB. I did a warranty back to Samsung and got a replacement hard drive a few weeks later. The RAM is normal and as should be.

It hasn't done it for 2 days now but looks like I'm sending in another hard drive.
06-20-2011, 09:29 AM,
Okay, hopefully everything will works out for ya!