You need to Read the rules and Join the forums before you can post.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
First build! All help is appreciated!
06-14-2011, 06:25 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-14-2011, 06:48 AM by AshC33.)
First build! All help is appreciated!
Hello all! I am building my first computer and even though I am flexible with my budget I would like to post my build here to ensure I don't waste any money on parts that aren't compatible with each other before I buy them. All parts are from the Mainstream Gaming PC recommended parts list. You could say this build is somewhere in between builds 4 and 6. I also have a few questions I would like answered at the end.

Intel Core i5 2500K 3.3-3.7GHz Turbo 95W
ASRock P67 EXTREME4 LGA1155 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX B3
G.SKILL 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1333MHz
Sapphire Radeon HD 6870
Samsung F3 1TB SATA II 30 Gb/s
ASUS SATA 24x DVD Burner
CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W 80 PLUS Certified
COOLER MASTER HAF 922 2 200mm 1 x 120mm
COOLER MASTER Megaflow 22mm Red LED Case Fan
Integrated 8 Channels Sound Card
Integrated Ethernet 10/100/1000

What are the Benefits and Risks of Overclocking a CPU or GPU?

Is it really possible to overclock the Intel i5 2500K CPU to 4.5-5.0GHz? If so, is the system stable afterward? Would doing so positively impact gaming performance afterward? How much negative impact would doing so have on the hardware? Does my build have power to support an overclock of this magnitude? Would it run cool enough? How much would you recommend overclocking the i5 2500K?

I also read of neoseeker.com that the Sapphire Radeon HD 5870 can be overclocked to 1000MHz. Is overclocking a GPU recommended? Would doing so positively impact gaming performance? How much negative impact would doing so have on the hardware? Does my build have enough power to support this overclock? Would it run cool enough? Would I need to replace the heat sink?

Any tips for overclocking for novices?

Would a Solid State Drive Benefit Games Downloaded through Steam?

Would a game load or run faster with a SSD? Is it worth the higher cost versus capacity?

How Much Positive Impact would CrossFire have on Game Performance?

I am considering adding another Sapphire Radeon HD 6870 as a future upgrade. How much would it benefit game performance? Does my build have enough power to run two overclocked HD 6870s without blowing up? Would it run cool enough?

How Careful does One have to be when Building a Computer?

I had a friend who build a computer with scrap parts for a computers project in high school. He was very rough with the parts and it still worked afterward. How careful should I be with these parts? Should I wear gloves? A hair net? A face mask? Should I ground myself? What should I do to protect any parts from being damaged?

Thank you for your help!

*EDIT: I am actually not digging the look of the COOLER MASTER HAF 922 2x 200mm 1 x 120mm as much as the COOLER MASTER CM690 II Advanced 2x 140mm 1x 120mm. Would this build fit inside the COOLER MASTER CM690 II Advanced? Would it run cool enough for overclocking? Would there be enough space for CrossFire?
06-14-2011, 07:31 AM,
RE: First build! All help is appreciated!
If you plan on overclocking, make sure you pick up an aftermarket CPU cooler, such as the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus.

A SSD will help your boot times, search times, and load times for files/programs located on it. It will cause your games to load quicker. Most people go with a SSD as their boot drive and put their OS, games, and frequently used programs on it for the performance increase. They then have a large mechanical drive for their files and storage.

Check out this for a comparision of a single 6870 vs Crossfire: Benchmarks

Being careful and taking your time is important when building a computer. Try and build in a well lit and clean area. You don't want to damage any of your new, expensive components. Some people like to work wearing an antistatic wrist strap to make sure they don't accidentally fry their components with static electricity.

Good luck Smile
Desktop: OS: Windows 7 Pro CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K @ 4.6GHz with COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus MOBO: ASRock P67 EXTREME4 GRAPHICS: MSI CYCLONE 1GD5/OC GeForce GTX 460 RAM: G.SKILL 8GB (2 x 4GB) SDRAM DDR3 @ 1333MHz PSU: CORSAIR HX Series 750W Modular HDD: SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 1TB 7200 RPM ODD: ASUS SATA 24X DVD Burner CASE: COOLER MASTER HAF 922
06-14-2011, 07:33 AM,
Welcome to the forums!

>What are the Benefits and Risks of Overclocking a CPU or GPU?

Benefits: Performance gains
Risks: You automatically void the warranty, and could fry the parts. I highly advocate against any beginner overclocking their GPU, I know so many people who have fried their GPU from pushing the voltage slightly up and the performance gains are negligible.

>Would a Solid State Drive Benefit Games Downloaded through Steam?

It would load faster, but the frame rate would be unaffected.

>How Much Positive Impact would CrossFire have on Game Performance?

It would almost double your performance. 90-100% performance gain with the 6870. Again I do not recommend overclocking your GPUs. I doubt they will run too hot as you appear to be adding a side intake fan to your case.

>How Careful does One have to be when Building a Computer?

Do not work on a carpet, work on a hardwood, linoleum or granite floor to minimize static electricity. Additionally touch your case every minute or so to balance the static electricity with it. Do not touch the CPU pins (hold it by its sides) and do not touch the connecting gold parts on the RAM and GPU.

Your friendly forum administrator.
06-14-2011, 07:59 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-14-2011, 08:03 AM by AshC33.)
(06-14-2011, 07:33 AM)Andrew J Wrote: Welcome to the forums!

>What are the Benefits and Risks of Overclocking a CPU or GPU?

Benefits: Performance gains
Risks: You automatically void the warranty, and could fry the parts. I highly advocate against any beginner overclocking their GPU, I know so many people who have fried their GPU from pushing the voltage slightly up and the performance gains are negligible.

>Would a Solid State Drive Benefit Games Downloaded through Steam?

It would load faster, but the frame rate would be unaffected.

>How Much Positive Impact would CrossFire have on Game Performance?

It would almost double your performance. 90-100% performance gain with the 6870. Again I do not recommend overclocking your GPUs. I doubt they will run too hot as you appear to be adding a side intake fan to your case.

>How Careful does One have to be when Building a Computer?

Do not work on a carpet, work on a hardwood, linoleum or granite floor to minimize static electricity. Additionally touch your case every minute or so to balance the static electricity with it. Do not touch the CPU pins (hold it by its sides) and do not touch the connecting gold parts on the RAM and GPU.

I won't attempt to overclock the GPU. Do you have any advice for trying a beginner trying to overclock their CPU? I was reading reviews for the Intel Core i5 2500K on Newegg and some reviewers said it was running hot after overclocking. Should I attempt to add an aftermarket heatsink? How would I go about doing so? Basically any advice you have an overclocking would be much appreciated. I want to learn how to do it without frying my CPU.

06-14-2011, 09:56 AM,
If you're going to overclock, definitely get an aftermarket heatsink, I recommend the Cooler Master Hyper 212+. It comes with instructions and is really pretty easy to add.

For the overclocking itself I recommend using this guide: http://www.clunk.org.uk/forums/overclock...nners.html
06-14-2011, 10:32 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-14-2011, 10:33 AM by Brian.)
If you're overclocking the GPU, get MSI. Their warranty covers overclocking.

If you're overclocking the CPU, just get any aftermarket cooler (Corsair A70, CM Hyper 212+ both work). It's so easy now...
Case: Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced CPU: Intel Core i7 2600K CPU Cooler: Thermalright Silver Arrow CPU TIM: Thermalright Chill Factor III GPU: Sapphire Radeon 6970 VGA Cooler: Arctic Cooling Accelero Xtreme Plus SSD: Crucial M4 256GB HDD: Samsung F3 1TB Motherboard: ASRock P67 PRO3 RAM: 4x4GB (16GB) Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600MHz Optical Drive: ASUS 24X PSU: 550W Kingwin Lazer 80 Plus Platinum Fan Controller: Scythe Kaze Q12 Sound Card: Asus Xonar Essence STX Keyboard: Rosewill RK-9000 Cherry MX Blue Mouse: Logitech G500 Monitor: Sceptre 27"
06-15-2011, 08:46 AM,
Because this appears to be a slower moving forum and I don't want to be the guy that spams the first page with his threads, I am just going to ask my new question here...

I decided to build a Tier 4 gaming PC instead of a Tier 6 because I am working with a college student's budget and the GeForce GTX 560 should be more than adequate for the casual gaming I can squeeze in between school, homework, studying, and my part-time job. I am also giving up on overclocking. It's just too tempting to risk damaging my components.

I am curious to know if I would be able to cram a ASRock P67 EXTREME4 motherboard with support for a possible upgrade to a second GTX 560 SLI into the COOLER MASTER CM690 II Advanced case?
06-15-2011, 09:10 AM,
If you give up overclocking then get a non k i.e i5 2500 cpu.
If you want to sli/xfire in future get a 6850 costs almost same and scales better in xfire AFAIK.
For i5 2500 you may better get H67 or H61(only if tight on buget).
And check the motherboard is capable of x8x8.
06-15-2011, 09:28 AM,
>I am curious to know if I would be able to cram a ASRock P67 EXTREME4 motherboard with support for a possible upgrade to a second GTX 560 SLI into the COOLER MASTER CM690 II Advanced case?

Yup, that should be fine. If the second card gets too hot you can add a side fan.
06-19-2011, 02:41 AM,
I ordered my parts! Hopefully they will arrive by the end of the week and I can build my new computer early next week! I am super excited!

In the meantime, I have been reading the online instruction manuals for some of the parts I ordered and I already found something that confuses me: applying thermal paste. The instruction manual for the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus isn't the most straight forward manual I've seen and the instructional video on the Cooler Master website skips applying thermal paste. How does one apply thermal paste to an Intel Core i5-2500 processor when installing the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus? I have been searching the web for an answer and I've seen everything from a dollop about the size of a grain of rice in the center to spread out evenly across the entire CPU to lines inbetween the heatpipes on the Hyper 212 Plus. Needless to say, I am thoroughly confused.