You need to Read the rules and Join the forums before you can post.

Poll: Where do you think the problem is?
Motherboard
PSU
Graphic Card
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I need help identifying where the problem with my computer is
06-03-2011, 07:42 PM,
I need help identifying where the problem with my computer is
Hi guys! With the addition of a graphic card to my system, things have not been going so great (when the problem arises). My computer has troubles booting up sometimes. Everything would turn on except the display, mouse, and keyboard. Sometimes it's just the display that's not on. I have to either wait a long time (like 5-10 minutes) for everything to turn on or turn the power completely off with its switch for a couple of minutes then flip it back on to turn the computer back on.

If I put the computer to sleep, there's no way of resuming it except turning the switch on the PSU off then turn it back on again. What the heck? I looked this up and it seems like a lot of people have this problem too but the majority of them solved it by updating the bios or changing sleep mode to S3...I tried all of it and the problem still persists.

I updated my motherboard's bios.
I did stress test (OCCT and ATITool) for graphic card all it passed both.
Whenever the system runs, I can play Starcraft II at High settings with no problem.

Oh and there's a high pitch noise from, I believe the PSU, during boot up sometimes too, it's not too loud and doesn't last too long but it is noticeable to normal ears.

So what do you guys think about the problem? Motherboard? PSU? Or Graphic card? Sad

System specification:
Windows 7 x64 SP1
Motherboard: ASUS M4N78 PRO
CPU: AMD Athlon II x3 440
RAM: GeIL Black Dragon 4GB DDR2
PSU: OCZ ModXStream Pro 500W
This graphic card: EVGA 896-P3-1255-AR GeForce GTX 260 Core 216
Laptop: MacBook Pro 13"
Case: Drawer turned to case CPU: Intel Core i3 2100 CPU Cooler: Stock brah GPU: EVGA GTX 460 HDD: Corsair Nova 32GB Motherboard: GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3 Z68 RAM: Ripjaw 8GB 1600 Optical Drive: Don't need PSU: 620W Antec Neo ECO. Operating System: OS X Lion/ Windows 7x64
06-03-2011, 08:11 PM,
RE: I need help identifying where the problem with my computer is
Take out the graphics card. See if high pitched noise persists when you boot up. OCZ ModXStream PSUs aren't that good, they're rated for 40C and the new graphics card may have taxed it too heavily.
Your friendly forum administrator.
06-03-2011, 08:30 PM, (This post was last modified: 06-03-2011, 08:37 PM by van13330gg.)
Thanks for always being the fastest to answer Andrew! =)

Without the card, the whole system runs fine and sleep mode works. Also, I have the system without the card for a couple of months and i never heard any noise from the PSU like that. Consider how the PSU only meets the minimum requirement of the card...I really lean toward the PSU not having enough juice for the system.
Also, I have some mulas on hand, but not so much, to upgrade the system. I have enough for one of the following plans.

Budget ~$150. I'm not a huge gamer so I don't need beefy graphic card or crossfire/Sli motherboard. Being "green" is of a concern too so that's why I bought the lower power OCZ PSU and I use sleep mode often.

1. New power supply
2. New motherboard + DDR3 Ram
3. New graphic card
Case: Drawer turned to case CPU: Intel Core i3 2100 CPU Cooler: Stock brah GPU: EVGA GTX 460 HDD: Corsair Nova 32GB Motherboard: GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3 Z68 RAM: Ripjaw 8GB 1600 Optical Drive: Don't need PSU: 620W Antec Neo ECO. Operating System: OS X Lion/ Windows 7x64
06-03-2011, 08:39 PM,
It does sound like a faulty PSU. Graphics cards can also make high pitched noises though, it's known as screaming capacitors. You should probably replace your PSU, 400W should be plenty.
06-03-2011, 08:42 PM, (This post was last modified: 06-03-2011, 10:27 PM by van13330gg.)
Thank you for the suggestion! The card asks for a minimum of 500W power supply though. Is 400W going to be able to deliver? I only have one hard drive, one dvd drive, and 3 120mm fans.
Hm...scratch that. I think it's the card that makes the noise. But I don't see how it can lead to the USB devices not turning on?

Another thing to mention, when I unlock my athlon ii x3 to a phenom ii x4, the power supply can't turn anything on. Is this because unlocking another core uses more power than what the power supply could handle or it should have been able to handle it fine?
06-03-2011, 09:54 PM,
How does this power supply look?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...067296&SID=
06-04-2011, 06:57 AM,
400W is plenty. The 500W recommendation is assuming worst case scenario, with a really powerful CPU and lots of peripherals.

Use the eXtreme PSU Calculator: http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp

That power supply you picked looks good.
06-04-2011, 08:30 AM,
Recommended PSU watts is 340+100=440W. I think I will go with the Antec one to be on the safe side. It is recommended on the power supply article after all. I should have read it before buying the ocz one.
06-09-2011, 04:04 PM,
Okay more updates. I bought a new motherboard (also updated ram to ddr3 Big Grin) and everything works well now. The old motherboard's pcie slot was messed up, I think. The link width of the card was running at 1x, now it's 8x. I think it runs faster now too? Windows experience index for graphic moved from 6.1 to 7.3.
06-09-2011, 05:03 PM,
Glad to hear you were able to fix everything!