You need to Read the rules and Join the forums before you can post.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My build (pictures)
05-22-2011, 02:38 PM, (This post was last modified: 05-24-2011, 07:41 PM by Andrew J.)
Photo  My build (pictures)
I put together my first custom PC, which also happens to be my first ever desktop. I would like to thank everyone on these forums for all the help as well as Mathieu for writing all the articles - it would have been much harder without them.

This is a lower-cost rig, I spent about $680 on everything except the graphics card (still shopping for that).

Parts:
CPU: i5-2500
Ram: Mushkin silverline 2 x 4gb ddr3 1333
Case: Lian Li Lancool K68
Mobo: MSI H67MA - E35
PSU: XFX XXX series 650W modular
HD: Samsung spinpoint f3

[Image: SDC10755.JPG]

Everything's in there, wires a pretty messy though. I later realized how to route them around the back...
[Image: SDC10764.JPG]

Here's where it got interesting. I actually had my computer running before this pic, installed windows 7 and messed around a bit, but there was this annoying clicking noise coming from my computer. Kind of like a loud hard drive (that's what I thought it was at first). After sticking my head in there turns out it was the PSU. Apparently other people have had this problem too. I wedged something in the fan and turned it on: silence.

[Image: SDC10777.JPG]
So... Instead of trying to return I took it apart. It's a habit of mine I guess. My awesome case has 2 140mm fans on the top, the PSU has a 135mm fan with a metal cover (that black piece in the pictures), it was a perfect fit! Problem solved.

[Image: SDC10778.JPG]
I wrapped electrical tape around my pliers to unplug the fan, I didn't feel comfortable sticking my fingers in there.

[Image: SDC10781.JPG]

Now I have a custom PSU with a larger fan.
[Image: SDC10783.JPG]

All done.
[Image: SDC10776.JPG]
05-22-2011, 03:37 PM,
RE: My build (pictures)
Nice build! Impressive PSU mod too!
Your friendly forum administrator.
05-24-2011, 07:19 PM,
RE: My build (pictures)
Oh this should have been in talks/deals oops