You need to Read the rules and Join the forums before you can post.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can an HDD cause response time hiccups?
03-14-2013, 05:19 PM,
RE: Can an HDD cause response time hiccups?
Honestly I had the same thing happen to me on a work laptop. Almost identical to what you describe, and honestly I never would have guessed it.

It was that CPU was overheating. Now my work laptop was freezing, having the windows update appear... click it.. it dissapears... etc. HDD got corrupted, however oddly enough we could download everything to an ext HDD, albiet slowly.

Of course it was not a gaming rig, but the fans really put out heat when I thought about it. However the symptoms seem the same to what you experience.

Sounds like a shot in the dark, but if you run RealTemp for several hours, what do you get? Turn it on, leave it running (and maybe even recording), and see what you get. If you start to see CPU throttling, then it's a very strong possibility.

PwnBroker's advice is equally valid, just found it eerily odd that you described an issue I just experienced myself almost word for word.

Let us know what you find.
CPU: Intel i7-2600K @4.2GHz Mobo: ASRock P67 EXTREME4 GEN3 RAM: Corsair Vengence 8GB 1600Mhz DDR3 GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 3GB
SSD: Samsung 830 Series 256GB SATA 6.0Gb/s HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB PSU: SeaSonic Platinum-1000 80 PLUS Modular ODD: SONY DVD 24x
CPU Cooler: Thermalright SilverArrow Sound: Creative SB X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty PCI-E Case: CM Storm Trooper

Messages In This Thread
RE: Can an HDD cause response time hiccups? - by pedwards - 03-14-2013, 05:19 PM