HR Forums
New Build Powers Up Then Turns off after a few seconds - Printable Version

+- HR Forums (http://forums.hardware-revolution.com)
+-- Forum: Computer Building (http://forums.hardware-revolution.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Forum: Troubleshooting (http://forums.hardware-revolution.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: New Build Powers Up Then Turns off after a few seconds (/showthread.php?tid=5479)

New Build Powers Up Then Turns off after a few seconds - Tony J - 08-06-2015

Hi - my daughter and I just finished building (it was a college grad gift) the following based on the HR build recommendations and using PC Picker to finalize the build. Here's what we used:

-GIGABYTE GA-X99-UD4 LGA 2011-v3 Intel X99 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
-Intel Core i7-5930K Haswell-E 6-Core 3.5GHz LGA 2011-v3 140W BX80648I75930K Desktop Processor
-EVGA 120-G2-1000-XR 80 PLUS GOLD 1000 W 10 yr Warranty Fully Modular NVIDIA SLI Ready and Crossfire Support
-2 x EVGA 04G-P4-2983-KR GeForce GTX 980 Superclocked ACX 2.0 4GB 256-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 SLI Support Video ...
-HyperX FURY 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2133 (PC4-17000) Desktop Memory Model HX421C14FBK2/16
-SAMSUNG 850 EVO MZ-75E500B/AM 2.5" 500GB SATA III 3-D Vertical Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
-CORSAIR Hydro Series H100i Extreme Performance Water/Liquid CPU Cooler. 240mm
-Thermaltake Core V71 Extreme Full Tower Chassis, Compatible With Extreme Liquid Cooling Builds (CA-1B6-00F1WN-00)
-CM Storm Devastator - LED Gaming Keyboard and Mouse Combo Bundle (Blue Edition)
-Samsung SATA 1.5 Gb-s Optical Drive, Black SH-224DB/BEBE
-ASUS VG278HE 27-Inch Screen LED-lit Monitor 144hz 2ms

When the computer powers up the fans come on, lights and then after a few seconds it shuts off (doesn't even cycle through to start putting something on the monitor). I've narrowed it down to either the MB or the PSU. Just looking for any additional suggestions or ideas or just to ask for a new MB and/or PSU.

What we've done is slowly remove parts from the case until all that was left was the MB, PSU, CPU and Corsair cooler. At least that time the PC beeped noting there was no memory but it still shut down after a few seconds.

Please help! Thanks in advance

RE: New Build Powers Up Then Turns off after a few seconds - Dan-H - 08-06-2015

I would check to see if the main CPU power cable is seated correctly to the motherboard, and to the PSU, and that the 24 pin connector to the motherboard was properly seated?

If that doesn't work, I'd try the paperclip power supply test and rule out the power supply.

http://support.antec.com/support/solutions/articles/1000015319-is-my-power-supply-dead-the-paperclip-test

RE: New Build Powers Up Then Turns off after a few seconds - Tony J - 08-06-2015

Thanks for the suggestion - we reseated all the cable connections twice to ensure everything was connected properly.

Also, did the multi-meter test with the paper clip and all voltages came back fine.

I'm thinking at this point either the CPU isn't seated correctly or its a bad motherboard.

Also an additional note - the system powers up once we hit the switch on the PSU and then few seconds later it shuts down- the power switch on the case doesn't even come into play - which is odd - never seen that happen before either. Thoughts?

RE: New Build Powers Up Then Turns off after a few seconds - Dan-H - 08-06-2015

I don't really have any more ideas.

But, once a friend connected the CPU power cable wrong. Off by 180 degrees. We looked at it three times before I shined a bright light on the connector and saw it was off. we flipped it around and it worked fine.

Its a long shot, but you might look one more time.

RE: New Build Powers Up Then Turns off after a few seconds - Tony J - 08-07-2015

Ok thanks - we've tried the CPU power cable twice and there's only one way to put them on. We did check and reseat the CPU and still powering up and down. Only had the CPU, memory and cooling fans connected. So at this point throwing up my arms and see if Newegg will give me an RMA and send out a new board. Will let you know if this works.

RE: New Build Powers Up Then Turns off after a few seconds - andycruce - 02-24-2016

I just finished a new computer and had the same problem. How did you solve it? System similar to yours with a Gigabyte mother board and a 1000 watt power supply. Power comes on, lights and fans come on for about 5 sec then the power goes off for about 5 sec and then recycles again. Checked the CPU cable and it is fine.

RE: New Build Powers Up Then Turns off after a few seconds - Tony J - 02-06-2017

(02-24-2016, 06:00 PM)andycruce Wrote: I just finished a new computer and had the same problem. How did you solve it? System similar to yours with a Gigabyte mother board and a 1000 watt power supply. Power comes on, lights and fans come on for about 5 sec then the power goes off for about 5 sec and then recycles again. Checked the CPU cable and it is fine.

Apologize for the delayed response but at the end of the day it was a bad motherboard. Newegg sent out a new board and everything came up fine.