HR Forums
Finally building my own rig - Printable Version

+- HR Forums (http://forums.hardware-revolution.com)
+-- Forum: Computer Building (http://forums.hardware-revolution.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Forum: Talk & Deals (http://forums.hardware-revolution.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Finally building my own rig (/showthread.php?tid=4825)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Finally building my own rig - Phrosty - 08-25-2013

After years of having only laptops I am finally building my own desktop. I am sure you will notice that there are a few things missing like PSU and Mouse and SSD. That is because I already have that stuff Smile

Here is what I got.

Motherboard: $85 - ASRock Z75 Pro3 LGA 1155 Intel Z75 - I got this motherboard because it was listed as the alternative and because it has 4 ram slots instead of 2. I know not a great reason but meh. Tongue

CPU: $119 - Intel Core i3-3220 Dual-Core Processor 3.3 Ghz - I figured it was recommended I may as well get it. I was going to spring for the i5 and since I was at the top end of my budget anyways I figured it was not vital to have.

Ram: $38 - ADATA DDR3 1600Mhz 4GB Kit 2 x 2GB - Once again I got this because it was suggested and it fit my budget

Video Card: $235 - GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2GB - This is the purchase that I was most worried about. On the HR article it brings you to an amazon page, now the article price is like twenty bucks off the price. So I checked out newegg and found what I am hoping is the exact same thing. I bought it from newegg because it came with a free game and I swear at the time I bought it there was no mail in rebate and there is now. Oh well lol.Here is the amazon one for comparison

Case: $70 - Rosewill R5 Black Gaming ATX Mid Tower Case - I got it because well it looks like a beast and I like it.

Keyboard: $13 Microsoft Wired Keyboard 200 - I saw it in the article and went super cheap because I knew I was pushing my budget and I needed one. Dodgy

So after everything is all said and done after taxes and shipping and what not it came out to around $575. Which is about 70 bucks over budget Confused. Oh well Angel

In case you are wondering what my psu is: NZXT Hale 82 750w Bronze

RE: Finally building my own rig - Brandonsr - 08-25-2013

Congrats! I can't wait to see the final build. Smile

RE: Finally building my own rig - Phrosty - 08-26-2013

I do have another question though. My wife and I have 2 cats and a Chihuahua, that is a lot of animal air. I could have sworn that somebody at one point had said something about filters or something that can go on the case fans to try and keep that hair out. Am I just crazy or does such a wonderful thing exist?

RE: Finally building my own rig - PwnBroker - 08-26-2013

yeah some cases have built in filter slots, depends on the case and there are some after market kits you can get that are fairly simple to install and you can make your own if you have some tools to do it with. ie, a vise to break sheet metal, sheet metal and a rivet gun.

RE: Finally building my own rig - Brandonsr - 08-26-2013

I believe the top and front of the R5 already has dust filters.

Sent from my SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

RE: Finally building my own rig - Pineappl - 08-26-2013

Finally!

RE: Finally building my own rig - Phrosty - 08-26-2013

I know I know it's about time. lol. My family sent me some money for my birthday and I worked a ton of overtime and figure #YOLO. -_-

Finally building my own rig - mwhals - 08-26-2013

(08-26-2013, 04:37 AM)Phrosty Wrote: I do have another question though. My wife and I have 2 cats and a Chihuahua, that is a lot of animal air. I could have sworn that somebody at one point had said something about filters or something that can go on the case fans to try and keep that hair out. Am I just crazy or does such a wonderful thing exist?

We have five cats and I have to regularly clean the filters.

RE: Finally building my own rig - MathieuB - 08-27-2013

Yeah, that video card is the same as the one recommended in the article, no worries there.

Nothing wrong with wanting 4 RAM slots, that's one of the reasons why I recommend it as an alternative, as it allows you to add RAM in the future if you want to. 4GB is certainly adequate for most uses, as long as you don't have a ton of bloat.

As other members mentioned, you have dust filters (on the bottom and front from what I saw). They are removable (you should be able to download a .pdf manual from Rosewill website if you don't get one with the case.), so just clean every few months or as you deem necessary if dust accumulates quickly.

One thing that helps with dust is putting the tower on a desk, sled, basically anything that doesn't leave it directly on the floor. While it is not necessary to do so, it can certainly help reduce the amount of dust that your PC will accumulate.

If you see dust buildup in the case itself, use compressed air and LIGHTLY blow off the dust without touching the components preferably. Remember to keep yourself free of static electricity to avoid damaging components (just touch your plugged in, but turned off, power supply, before handling components. Or anything else that is grounded).

P.S. Pictures or it didn't happen Tongue

Re: Finally building my own rig - Phrosty - 08-28-2013

Well I got my case and motherboard and video card today. I noticed that the motherboard and video card came with cds. Is it absolutely a necessity to have a cd reader? Or can I just download the software needed from the company website?

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 2