HR Forums
If I put this HDD into my all new computer as master, will it just boot up? - Printable Version

+- HR Forums (http://forums.hardware-revolution.com)
+-- Forum: Computer Building (http://forums.hardware-revolution.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Forum: Questions (http://forums.hardware-revolution.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Thread: If I put this HDD into my all new computer as master, will it just boot up? (/showthread.php?tid=3519)

If I put this HDD into my all new computer as master, will it just boot up? - JCD-Bionicman - 10-02-2012

So I'm running windows 7 off of my HDD (of course). I'm getting a new computer, so if I put this HDD into my new computer and set it to master, it should just boot up as is right?

RE: If I put this HDD into my all new computer as master, will it just boot up? - Konvikt - 10-02-2012

With Win7 OEM you can install 1 version on 1 mobo. So you can change any hardware as long as the mobo remains the same.

If you intend to change everything but the HDD I expect the boot to fail. Unless you have a Win7 Retail version. Then you can just reinstall.

I'm assuming you don't want to waste time reinstalling?

RE: If I put this HDD into my all new computer as master, will it just boot up? - mwhals - 10-03-2012

Your new computer will have different hardware requiring different drivers from your current machine. Windows will not run well doing what you propose due to driver incompatibilities. I recommend doing a clean install and then install the currect drivers.

As pointed out already, the retail version of Windows 7 is licensed so you can move it to a new system (remove from old and install on new). An OEM version is married to the motherboard by the software license, so you are not licensed to move it to a new system. Why not replace your hard drive with an SSD anyway?

RE: If I put this HDD into my all new computer as master, will it just boot up? - PwnBroker - 10-03-2012

like the others, but i will add that if it is an OEM version from say HP, COMPAQ, etc. then its up to the manufacturer to decide on how it tags it to the OS. some OEM's are very lenient and only tags it to the slp from a code in bios on the MB. in addition to the bios code, microsoft uses 8 different hardware checks to validate that OEM liscence. they include everything from the serial number of the cpu, memory size, network adapter mac address to the hardware volume on the hard drive.(i cant remember all of them). but more times than none all that you can do to an OEM machine is upgrade the memory or the gpu. you'll have to backup your data files, wipe the drive and install a OS.

if it is a systems builder oem version that you personally bought, then you are the OEM builder. this is why when you replace a defective motherboard, microsoft will grant you another validation code.

if its a full retail liscence then you can transfer it to a different machine, but as mwhals pointed out, you will have driver probelms. BUT, there is a way around that by using the sysrep tool within windows. we technicians use it all the time, because a customer may want to upgrade their workstations but do not want to lose all of their data or profiles.(dont think of using this method to transfer an oem version, it may not work cause you still have to have a validation and not only is it ethically and morally wrong, its illegal!)