HR Forums
Plextor M3 Pro vs Plextor M3 256 GB SSDs - Printable Version

+- HR Forums (http://forums.hardware-revolution.com)
+-- Forum: Computer Building (http://forums.hardware-revolution.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Forum: Questions (http://forums.hardware-revolution.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Thread: Plextor M3 Pro vs Plextor M3 256 GB SSDs (/showthread.php?tid=2772)

Plextor M3 Pro vs Plextor M3 256 GB SSDs - mwhals - 04-08-2012

I noticed the Plextor M3 Pro line for a few more dollars than the M3 line and in tests they seem to be quite a bit faster. Any chance of them replacing the M3 line in the best SSDs for the money?

Is it worth the extra dollars for the improved performance if going with a 32 GB RAM machine running an i7 3930k CPU?

My guess is no, but the extra speed might be great.

Re: Plextor M3 Pro vs Plextor M3 256 GB SSDs - Phrosty - 04-08-2012

How much is a few more bucks? Less than ten? Twenty? I honestly cannot give you a for sure answer but if it was less than twenty and I was already building a rig like yours, then why not.

Sent from my rooted EVO 4g using tapatalk.

RE: Plextor M3 Pro vs Plextor M3 256 GB SSDs - Brian - 04-08-2012

The Plextor M3 with and without the Pro are great SSDs--just too expensive to be worth it, as the Samsung 830 is faster and cheaper, as well as potentially more reliable.

Plextor M3 Pro vs Plextor M3 256 GB SSDs - mwhals - 04-08-2012

The Plextor is recommended over the Samsung for the workstation tier 4 build. I think due to 5 year warranty.
(04-08-2012, 02:14 PM)Phrosty Wrote: How much is a few more bucks? Less than ten? Twenty? I honestly cannot give you a for sure answer but if it was less than twenty and I was already building a rig like yours, then why not.

Sent from my rooted EVO 4g using tapatalk.

I think around $30, which is a few compared to the total PC costs.

RE: Plextor M3 Pro vs Plextor M3 256 GB SSDs - MathieuB - 04-08-2012

I've began work/research on the next edition of The Best SSDs/HDDs For Your Money, so you'll see in the article what's my final answer.

What I can tell you now is that I'll change the performance rating of quite a few SSDs and that I underestimated the performance of the Plextor M3, which will see its performance rating go up.

As Brian pointed out though, the Samsung 830 is an excellent drive, which is on average a notch faster than the M3, as well as being less expensive.

Tweaktown confirmed that the M3 Pro outperforms any SandForce based SSDs (Intel 520, Vertex 3 and the Kingston HyperX), so it's certainly a high-performance SSD and the 5 years warranty on it is great.

Now whether the M3 Pro outperforms the Samsung 830 or not is not a question that I can answer at this moment unfortunately, since no review of the M3 Pro puts it against the Samsung 830. I know that Anand from AnandTech went to gets his hand on the M3 Pro after testing the M3 though, so hopefully we'll have concrete data on how well the M3 Pro does vs the Samsung 830 soon enough.

RE: Plextor M3 Pro vs Plextor M3 256 GB SSDs - MathieuB - 04-10-2012

Based on further research, it would appear that the Samsung 830 is a notch faster than the M3 Pro. Considering the prices and Samsung solid reliability record, I'd also be inclined to recommend the Samsung 830.

Plextor M3 Pro vs Plextor M3 256 GB SSDs - mwhals - 04-10-2012

Ok. I think the middle workstation tier should change so the Samsung 830. I will plan on it for my build next month.