HR Forums
Radeon hd 6870 not being detected - Printable Version

+- HR Forums (http://forums.hardware-revolution.com)
+-- Forum: Computer Building (http://forums.hardware-revolution.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Forum: Troubleshooting (http://forums.hardware-revolution.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Radeon hd 6870 not being detected (/showthread.php?tid=2668)

Pages: 1 2

Radeon hd 6870 not being detected - SteelJM1 - 03-24-2012

Hey guys, having a bit of a problem,

Mobo: ASRock Z68 Pro3 Gen3
CPU: Intel core i5 2500 3.3
PSU: Silverstone Strider 500W
RAM: 2 x Corsair XMS3 4gb DDR3 1600
HD: Seagate barracuda 500GB
Graphics: Sapphire Radeon HD6870

So I got it all together and got it working perfectly except that the Radeon isn't being detected whatsoever. The fans turning and I tried two different power routes from the PSU. I tried disabling the on board VGA and restarting, have the bios set up to detect the PCI-e slot first, Installed and uninstalled the Radeon drivers, no dice.

Help Sad

Re: Radeon hd 6870 not being detected - Brandonsr - 03-26-2012

Did you plug the monitor into gpu.?

RE: Radeon hd 6870 not being detected - SteelJM1 - 03-26-2012

(03-26-2012, 06:07 PM)Poppy-seede Wrote: Did you plug the monitor into gpu.?

Yeah, I tried every connection on the gpu. Only the on-board works.

RE: Radeon hd 6870 not being detected - ichigeki - 03-26-2012

Here is a quick simple check list of things to do when installing a GPU.

1. Make sure it is inserting into a PCI EXPRESS 2.0 (3.0 on that motherboard) X16 slot. The long slot closest to your CPU.
2. Make sure both 6 PIN PSU cords are correctly installed on the GPU.
3. Like Poppy said, use the GPU's monitor connection.

Also, are you installing drivers from CD or from AMD's website?

RE: Radeon hd 6870 not being detected - SteelJM1 - 03-27-2012

(03-26-2012, 07:34 PM)ichigeki Wrote: Here is a quick simple check list of things to do when installing a GPU.

1. Make sure it is inserting into a PCI EXPRESS 2.0 (3.0 on that motherboard) X16 slot. The long slot closest to your CPU.
2. Make sure both 6 PIN PSU cords are correctly installed on the GPU.
3. Like Poppy said, use the GPU's monitor connection.

Also, are you installing drivers from CD or from AMD's website?

Yep, the PCIe slot, had both power cords plugged in, even tried rerouting with the molex adapters, and I tried both the CD and website drivers.

I brought the GPU over to a buddies house last night and it worked on his system, so it's down to the motherboard or PSU. He let me borrow his few-year old PCIe GPU to try in my MB. If it works there, I'll bring my whole system over and try his giant PSU out.

If it does come to using his PSU, can i simply just plug his into my GPU and use my current one to power everything else?

RE: Radeon hd 6870 not being detected - PwnBroker - 03-27-2012

if you have all the cabling correct, power etc. did you go into device manager and manually disable or delete the onboard display adapter? then reboot, go into bios and make sure pci-e is still selected as primary. the gpu itself should have basic display drivers already installed on it.

RE: Radeon hd 6870 not being detected - Brandonsr - 03-27-2012

yeah it sounds like the PCIe slot might be bad.

(03-27-2012, 04:50 PM)Poppy-seede Wrote: yeah it sounds like the PCIe slot might be bad.

Nope, PCIe slot is good, I just tested it with my buddies older PCIe card, an nvidia of some sort.

Just to recap, this si what i have done:

Disabled on board graphics
made sure PCI express is primary display in BIOS
Checked GPU with different computer - pass
Checked MB with known good GPU - pass
Used molex adapters to power GPU
Installed and uninstalled Radeon drivers

The only thing left I can think of is perhaps the PSU isn't supllying the 150W needed to the GPU. It's a Silverstone 500W, perhaps I should try a known good 600W PSU. IF that doesn't work.. then I have no idea what is going on.

And that's it, 600W PSU not working either. I'm at my wits end.

RE: Radeon hd 6870 not being detected - ichigeki - 03-27-2012

I understand your frustration after all those tests. Have you tried completely resetting your CMOS on your MOBO by removing the battery?