HR Forums
installing windows onto a raid volume - Printable Version

+- HR Forums (http://forums.hardware-revolution.com)
+-- Forum: Computer Building (http://forums.hardware-revolution.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Forum: Questions (http://forums.hardware-revolution.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Thread: installing windows onto a raid volume (/showthread.php?tid=1035)

Pages: 1 2

installing windows onto a raid volume - ryan1405 - 05-29-2011

after tidying up all my wires, i got into the bios and set up raid 0 with my 3 drives, but i had some trouble trying to install windows 7 onto the raid volume and couldnt figure out how to solve the problem

RE: installing windows onto a raid volume - Hogrock - 05-29-2011

If the array is being recognized in your bios as raid 0, windows should install normally. What is happening when you try to install?

RE: installing windows onto a raid volume - ryan1405 - 06-02-2011

been extremely busy havent even had time to turn on my new comp let alone try install windows again, but i did get some time at work to do some research and i think i might need some drivers for it to work, i havent installed any disks so far am i suppose to install any before windows 7 normally?

RE: installing windows onto a raid volume - MathieuB - 06-02-2011

Your motherboard manual should have more details on RAID. Normally, you need to choose RAID in the BIOS, then go into a RAID manager (using a combination of keys when your PC boots) to setup RAID 0 itself.

What problems do you run into when you try to install Windows 7? Does it tell you that it can't find any drive to install on? If yes, then your problem is that you haven't done what I just described above.

RE: installing windows onto a raid volume - ryan1405 - 06-03-2011

(06-02-2011, 06:24 PM)MathieuB Wrote: Your motherboard manual should have more details on RAID. Normally, you need to choose RAID in the BIOS, then go into a RAID manager (using a combination of keys when your PC boots) to setup RAID 0 itself.

What problems do you run into when you try to install Windows 7? Does it tell you that it can't find any drive to install on? If yes, then your problem is that you haven't done what I just described above.

i went into the bios using the delete button set storage type to raid, then it like reboots i used crtl+I to go into the intel raid screen created a raid volume, using all 3 drives.
when i got to the bit to select a drive for windows the raid was there but windows 7 couldnt boot from it so wouldnt be installed, i will find out the exact error in a few hours and post it here.

RE: installing windows onto a raid volume - MathieuB - 06-03-2011

Ah, I see.

Here's how to fix this:
When you're about to install Windows, set your optical (DVD or Blu-Ray) drive as the first drive to boot, in the boot priority in the BIOS/EFI.

When Windows is installing and reboots your PC, go back into the BIOS/EFI and set your RAID array as the first drive to boot. Then Windows should be able to boot from it and complete the installation.

ok, so i tried to install windows 7 again, and got this error.

"windows cannot be installed to this disk. This computers hardware may not support booting to this disk. Ensure that the disk's controller is enabled in the computers bios menu."
and
"setup was unable to create a new partition or locate an existing system parition, see the setup log files for more informtion"

i found the booting order and i got pretty stuck

1) p5: ATAPI iHAS124 B
2) UEFI: P5: ATAPI iHAS124

this is
1) disk drive
2) disk inside the drive (windows 7 oem disk)

without my 3 harddrives set in raid they appear in the boot order seperatly but when i put them into raid it takes them out of the boot order, i no longer think it is drivers i am missing since when installing windows it recongnise the raid just wont let me install it to them because you cant boot from the raid.

after going into greater detail when trying to install windows onto the raid 0, i have the options to refresh/load driver/new
am i missing anything here

this is driving me insane, whatever i do i just cant seem to get it working spent the last 5hrs trying to figure it out, almost got to the point where i was going to just screw raid, im hoping its something really simple that im missing

(06-03-2011, 08:42 AM)MathieuB Wrote: Ah, I see.

Here's how to fix this:
When you're about to install Windows, set your optical (DVD or Blu-Ray) drive as the first drive to boot, in the boot priority in the BIOS/EFI.

When Windows is installing and reboots your PC, go back into the BIOS/EFI and set your RAID array as the first drive to boot. Then Windows should be able to boot from it and complete the installation.

just reading back through and havent really answered well here, i dont get to a point where windows restarts the system, it simply load the windows installer, i enter the language and keyboard setup then accept terms and conditions. the next screen is selecting a drive, the raid 0 is there but when selected i get the errors in my post above.

RE: installing windows onto a raid volume - ryan1405 - 06-04-2011

i think ive discovered the problem, windows doesnt like the drive being larger than 2tb and my raid is a total of 3tb, i need to change the drives from mbr to gpt but then goot stuck

RE: installing windows onto a raid volume - tocaff - 06-04-2011

the Asus P8Z68-V Pro will recognize HDs over 2.2TB. Maybe a firmware update is all you need for your chipset?