HR Forums

Full Version: Am I doomed?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I was trying to install two GIGABYTE GV-R687OC-1GD Radeon HD 6870 1GB cards, which are almost too big for my case, and in the process one of the capacitors (is this the right term?) broke off of the mother board. Is the motherboard ruined now? Is there anything that can be done? I haven't even tried to turn it on.

I bought the recommended MSI P67A-G45 B3 P67 SATA6Gb/s USB3.0 CF/SLI 8x/8x ATX. Here's is a stock picture of my board:

http://images.novatech.co.uk/msi-p67a-g45-b3_extra5.jpg

There are two capacitors in the upper-left, next to "Lossless Audio." The one on the right just barely broke off. Printed on the cap is: "AbQ / 10 / 10v"

Please tell me there's something I can do...
I called around to some of the repair shops in town, and it looks like it would cost about $35 to repair, depending on the condition of the capacitor.

On some of the other message boards online, people have suggested trying to turn it on and see what happens. According to them, in some cases, the motherboard will still work. Is this worth trying?
Man, that sucks. Honestly, if it was still under RMA I would just claim it came like that and get it replaced, but I'm sure some people would consider that dishonest.
It wasn't broken off when I opened the bag, but I don't think it could have been fastened on there very well...

Well if it is still within the RMA period just tell them it was broken off when you opened it and ask for a replacement. That's what I would do at least.
What you do is up to you really, but I wouldn't use that motherboard.

The capacitors were there for a reason, they are part of the electrical design. While your motherboard may work, some features may not (like the audio) or your motherboard may die pretty fast or in a dangerous way.
(04-29-2011, 10:12 PM)MathieuB Wrote: [ -> ]What you do is up to you really, but I wouldn't use that motherboard.

The capacitors were there for a reason, they are part of the electrical design. While your motherboard may work, some features may not (like the audio) or your motherboard may die pretty fast or in a dangerous way.

I knew it in my heart to be true -- I just needed someone to tell me as much. I'm going to see if I can get it repaired.