HR Forums

Full Version: Installing a SATA drive question
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
How do I install a SATA driver? Is installing a SATA driver a part of the Windows 7 installation procedure?

I'm reading "Building a PC in Easy Steps (2008)" and I'm confused on this part:

(Assuming that Windows 7 won't help me install the SATA driver) "Some motherboard manufacturers do not provide a floppy disk containing SATA drivers. You must make one yourself (instructions will be in the motherboard manual). Typically, this involves booting the system from the motherboard disk and then simply following the prompts. This requires the CD drive to be set as the first boot device."

So, if the motherboard manufactures does provide a disk w/ the SATA drivers, will it really be on a floppy disk? Or is that due to this book being written in 2008? I really don't want a floppy disk drive lol.
(04-13-2011, 05:07 PM)morgothaod Wrote: [ -> ]How do I install a SATA driver? Is installing a SATA driver a part of the Windows 7 installation procedure?

I'm reading "Building a PC in Easy Steps (2008)" and I'm confused on this part:

(Assuming that Windows 7 won't help me install the SATA driver) "Some motherboard manufactures do not provide a floppy disk containing SATA drivers. You must make one yourself (instructions will be in the motherboard manual). Typically, this involves booting the system from the motherboard disk and then simply following the prompts. This requires the CD drive to be set as the first boot device."

So, if the motherboard manufactures does provide a disk w/ the SATA drivers, will it really be on a floppy disk? Or is that due to this book being written in 2008? I really don't want a floppy disk drive lol.

I think the SATA drivers usually come with the drive you purchased. If not, you can usually find them online at the manufacturer's support page.
Why does it even mention a motherboard disk?
Windows 7 comes with generic SATA drivers and will install them during installation, so that's not an issue.
So once I have the SATA driver connected, all I need to do is install Windows 7? Is there no need in messing with a SATA driver disk or a motherboard disk?

The book answered my question about the motherboard disk. It said, "We recommend that you install the driver supplied by the motherboard manufacturer as this may give better results."
Your book was released before Window 7 was released, that's why. 3 years is an eternity when it comes to computers.

As long as your SATA drive appears in the BIOS, Windows 7 will take care of the rest during its installation.