HR Forums

Full Version: Acer X34 Predator - UltraWide Experience
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pulling this apart from my other thread given my PC build will take it's own path.

Overall I loved this monitor, and the tinkerer in me felt that I could always overcome it's faults.

[Image: FullSizeRender_zpsyix6n54t.jpg]

First monitor I got - I shared the details with you. For a 1300 EUR (live in France) monitor, I had certain expectations. Given this technology - would appreciate any and all perspectives on my observations. Namely if I'm expecting too much for an IPS panel.

Unboxing:
Comes with power supply and cable(s), regional for EU in my case; HDMI connector; DisplayPort Cable; USB 3 cable; Wall mount adapater; instructions.

[Image: 5d521012-1b8a-45aa-a3a7-571adde3d8aa_zpsc7sxon9u.jpg]

Well padded, but you can see quickly it's footprint, and with the foam piece in the front it's curvature.
[Image: IMG_1325_zps42fqjewx.jpg]

Here it is on top out of the box.
[Image: 3b51c99c-1857-405b-85ca-70f8d4c7c8c7_zpsp14dnmdj.jpg]

Issues with the first one:
Backlight bleed was a bit much on the bottom corners to the point that it was visible in black scenes for games like Resident Evil: Revelations 2 (which I got EP 1 on sale for like $1).
[Image: IMG_1330_zpsysifbpnj.jpg]

Also:
- After sleep mode, would not wake
- Screen flicker even at out of box 60/50Hz
- Mfg Date: Nov 2015 - which as per formus / Acer support site, most likely not with the latest Firmware. However the QC on the HW wouldn't have changed of course.

So I returned it with the local vendor, got another one.

Also a Nov build. Dang.

This time:
- OC'ed to 100Hz stable - Good!
- Noticeable vertical gradient banding on greyscale and green - Dang.

[Image: IMG_1369_zps83hfqbyi.jpg][Image: IMG_1396_zpssiwvyjmt.jpg]

It's prehaps tough to see here with an iphone given you see the panel variation, but in the greyscale version it looks like a tiny fork was scraped across the screen, then a good period of fluid transition, followed by other lines.

Green image is more hard to see, but consistent gradient banding there too while red and blue were virtually non existant.

The benchmarks were fine however, here's how it looked in Heaven 4.0
[Image: IMG_1377_zps2sxvvqek.jpg][Image: IMG_1374_zpsdsdgdf56.jpg][Image: IMG_1371_zpsdjvnj0lk.jpg]

I noticed that with the dual 980Ti's that the lowest FPS was only a difference of +/- 3-4 frames with the max frames being the benefit. So quite frankly from what I've seen and also read - one 980Ti could handle this monitor.

Also the backlight bleed was not very different, except it was 1 corner - upper right hand side.

Needless to say, although I could have sent it back to Acer to update the firmware which may have addressed the vertical banding - I didn't want to take the chance. Additionally from what I read, is the examples from tftcentral looked like the lines were more equidistant than looking like the fork scrapes every so often that I observed.

So using the last days of my 15 day satisfaction or return policy - I returned it. The straw that broke the camel's back was looking at the same greyscale gradient on my iPad looks so fluid going to the same site: lagom.nl. Granted the retina display most likely has more pixels per sq cm, but I swear with the first monitor - despite all it's faults - had that pretty darn good. No noticeable banding.

I learned from reddit that the stock at amazon.uk also had Nov builds (almost bought from them, so very happy I didn't), but they ran out, so hoping the replinished stock will be with Feb or later builds which should address a large number of QC issues and certainly have the Rev 2 firmware.

Verdict: I think I'm going to go with a UW-QHD, and for this price won't settle until I get one that has acceptable panel quality with ok backlight bleed. I think even if I can't get the full 100Hz OC, and it's only 95Hz without stutter, will keep it.

However an alternative is the Asus PG348Q, which is a direct rival, but unfortunately they have similar if not worse QC it seems (via overclock.net) than Acer... which I didn't think was possible. Essentially it's a lottery no matter which vendor you pic as I think they both use same mfg for screens.

So I'm hooked it seems.

Meanwhile appreciate any thoughts - I think the first one was clearly defective. Just really debated for several days whether to return the second and finally conceded. Was I dumb? Should I not be so stringent?
ok thanks a lot, between you and linus, you have me wanting a uw-qhd now. lol.

bummer about the monitor although heaven looks awesome but im with you, if i was to throw down 1200 bucks it shouldnt have those issues.

as far as the asus monitor i cant find any bad customer reviews so i dont know what overclocks problem was with them. asus more times than none puts out quality products but they may have had some problems being a new production run with this monitor and being an ROG branded product, im sure they will fix the issues quickly.

so, i dont know what to tell you really but if it were me, i think i would roll with the asus model if it were within my budget.(but that is just me).

other than what you can do with these res monitors another cool thing is that they only require about 30% more gpu power as you found with your testing. so thats a good thing for somone wanting to upgrade to one of these setups with a single gpu makes it possible, instead of say 4k res.

good luck with your dillema