HR Forums

Full Version: Finally building my own rig
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Nothing wrong with 1600 x 900 (it's a standard resolution for monitors, just not for TVs), if anything, your video card won't have to work as hard since there are less pixels to output.

Mind you, you can use both monitors too, use one for the video game and another for the web browser, music, anything else you want really.
Well I just found out that I have no choice but to use the Dell lol. My wife wants to get cable again and have the pink TV in the bedroom so when she has the baby she can nurse and what not in bed. Plus like it was suggested black Friday will be a great time to pick up a new monitor. :-)

edit - I think I know the answer to this but I will ask anyways. I bought windows 8 and had it installed on my laptop for all of about 45 minutes, I cannot use that same key on my new build can I?
Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 2
Well putting it together now. Here goes nothing.

Edit - well it won't boot. Took everything off and have one ram stick in it and the twenty four pin and the two four pin power things. Fan powers on but still no boot. Checked to see if there are any bent pins but no there are not.

Edit - could the motherboard be bad?
(09-03-2013, 08:06 AM)Phrosty Wrote: [ -> ]Well I just found out that I have no choice but to use the Dell lol. My wife wants to get cable again and have the pink TV in the bedroom so when she has the baby she can nurse and what not in bed. Plus like it was suggested black Friday will be a great time to pick up a new monitor. :-)

edit - I think I know the answer to this but I will ask anyways. I bought windows 8 and had it installed on my laptop for all of about 45 minutes, I cannot use that same key on my new build can I?

if it is win8 oem system builder and you signed the personal use liscense then yes you can transfer the same liscense to a different computer but it has to be removed from the laptop first.

http://www.microsoft.com/OEM/en/licensin...1ad0KRNZdJ
So how about my other issue. I read somewhere that in order to rma the motherboard it has to be within seven days. Well I have had it more than seven days because of waiting for Amazon. So am I just Fucked then.

(09-05-2013, 02:24 PM)Phrosty Wrote: [ -> ]So how about my other issue. I read somewhere that in order to rma the motherboard it has to be within seven days. Well I have had it more than seven days because of waiting for Amazon. So am I just Fucked then.

could be the motherboard. even if its an old stock board with bios 1.10 it should still post then you would have to update it to bios 1.20 or later to support IB chips.

do you get any post beeps or anything?

as for the rma'ng, look at the return/exchange policy of wherever you bought the board from. most are 30 days. else you will have to call asrock tech support to rma it back to them.

good luck, sorry for your troubles
I know it sounds dumb but I honestly feel like crying lol. How can I tell if it is the motherboard that is bad and not the cpu?

Z75 motherboard should support IB CPUs natively. Besides, it would still post.

Before you return the motherboard, here's something to try:

Take the little battery out of the motherboard (right below the top PCI-Express 16x slot where the video card goes) and wait 2 minutes for the mobo to fully discharge. Remember, you must have the power cord unplugged to do this. (You should never have cords attached to the back when you're working on a computer.)

At the bottom left of the mobo, you'll find a writing that says "CLRCMOS" right below three pins and a jumper that connects two of those three pins. Move that jumper to the other two pins and wait 5-10 seconds to clear your CMOS. Move it back to its original position, plug back the battery, plug in power and basic parts and try to boot again.

CPUs are very rarely DOA, motherboards are usually the culprit.
Ok so everything is working... sort of. I tried installing windows with the usb key like I have on countless other installs. It installs, reboots and finishes installation. Then when it goes to the desktop it immediately reboots. From that point on it will not even get to the windows logo. Just keeps going to the bios boot screen thing then cuts out and goes right back to it. Now here is the kicker. I tried installing linux mint the same way, using a usb key and it worked perfect, not a single problem in the slightest...... I tried to google the answer but all the stuff I am find they talk about booting into safe mode, I don't even have that option.

Edit - and now for some reason the usb key that has Windows 7 on it doesn't wanna work to install Windows lol. I guess I am stuck trying to make it work as a Linux gamer......
So I am going to best buy and going to buy Windows eight after work. Which version do I need for a clean install? A friend at work is giving me a cd/dvd tray thingy for my desktop so that's how I will be installing it. But when I called best buy the prices ranged from 99 to 199. So I have no idea what the different versions are for lol. Please somebody help me so I can finish my build.

Pages: 1 2 3 4