HR Forums

Full Version: My bios freezes every time I go to save and exit?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello I just finished putting together my gfs computer(she only plays facebook zynga games) I needed to reinstall windows so I went to bios to change the boot order and that worked fine. Problem is when I go to the screen where I can save and exit it freezes.

I was able to get it to boot from cd first not using the bios so I got windows installed etc. Everything is fine and running how it is suppose to(except the ram its running at 1600) So I go into bios again to try and turn the ram up and every time when I go to the screen to save and exit it freezes and saves nothing.

Do I have a bad mother board or something?

MSI FM2-A75MA-E35 FM2 AMD A75 (Hudson D3) HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

G.SKILL Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2133 (PC3 17000) Desktop Memory Model

AMD A10-5800K Trinity 3.8GHz (4.2GHz Turbo) Socket FM2 100W Quad-Core Desktop APU (CPU + GPU) with DirectX 11 Graphic AMD Radeon HD 7660D
Have you turned on XMP?
Moving this to the troubleshooting section.

Try the following:
Unplug it from the wall outlet and clear the BIOS with the jumper (or button if your motherboard has one, see manual to find that) and remove the battery at the same time.

After that, look for a BIOS setting that loads the factory defaults.

If that doesn't do it, look for a BIOS update on the manufacturer's website. If there's a more recent version of the BIOS, update it and see if that helps.

Now if that doesn't fix it, it's time for an exchange Wink
make sure you have the latest bios updated, looks like version 1.1 for that board. msi had some problems with their bios utilizing turbo correctly. also with some bios' for the a10 you can only go so high with memory speed without adjusting the BCLK and timings, different memory modules are having different results. the a10 supports up to 1866 but has enabled xmp past that for OC memory modules.

EDIT: after looking at newegg reviews, there seem to be some problems with the bios on that board when trying to save and exit bios and a problem with that board supporting 2133 memory modules without some serious tweaking and even then it is unstable. one workaround on the bios issue was to "X" out of it and then click save and exit. you might also try to set memory to 1866 if you see instability at 2133. hope this helps.

good luck
(12-13-2012, 10:34 AM)PwnBroker Wrote: [ -> ]make sure you have the latest bios updated, looks like version 1.1 for that board. msi had some problems with their bios utilizing turbo correctly. also with some bios' for the a10 you can only go so high with memory speed without adjusting the BCLK and timings, different memory modules are having different results. the a10 supports up to 1866 but has enabled xmp past that for OC memory modules.

EDIT: after looking at newegg reviews, there seem to be some problems with the bios on that board when trying to save and exit bios and a problem with that board supporting 2133 memory modules without some serious tweaking and even then it is unstable. one workaround on the bios issue was to "X" out of it and then click save and exit. you might also try to set memory to 1866 if you see instability at 2133. hope this helps.

good luck

Thanks for the replies the clicking the X saved my settings. I also put the ram up to 2133mhz with no issue.

Now the last piece is my antec 300 case came with 2 fans(3 prong) and my mother board has sysfan1 with 4 spots and sysfan2 with 3 spots. Both work on the 3 spot one but neither works on the 4 spot one I guess I just don't use that fan?
You don't need to use every fan port on a motherboard, so it fine to not use them.
(12-13-2012, 10:33 PM)SZAGENT Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-13-2012, 10:34 AM)PwnBroker Wrote: [ -> ]make sure you have the latest bios updated, looks like version 1.1 for that board. msi had some problems with their bios utilizing turbo correctly. also with some bios' for the a10 you can only go so high with memory speed without adjusting the BCLK and timings, different memory modules are having different results. the a10 supports up to 1866 but has enabled xmp past that for OC memory modules.

good luck

Thanks for the replies the clicking the X saved my settings. I also put the ram up to 2133mhz with no issue.

Now the last piece is my antec 300 case came with 2 fans(3 prong) and my mother board has sysfan1 with 4 spots and sysfan2 with 3 spots. Both work on the 3 spot one but neither works on the 4 spot one I guess I just don't use that fan?

most all 3 fan leads will work on a 4 pin header, you just have to plug it in correctly. consult your motherboard for the 4 pin labeling and also the fan labeling. usually with the lock catch oriented at the top the ground pin will be the first pin to the right so you will have to plug the 3 pin fan connector starting at the right, this will leave one pin on the left sticking out. if you figure it out, remember you wont have any pwm to control the fan speed and it will run at full speed.

consult your motherboard manual to make sure which pin is the ground pin on the 4 pin header.

good luck