HR Forums

Full Version: How to erase all data on hard drive?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm going to be getting a 80gb hard drive to test on my build and see if my original hard drive is the cause of my problems. However I believe it will have some sort of windows already installed, with a lot of other junk. How can I delete everything off this? Oh also. if I install windows on this hard drive with the product key will I still be able to install the same windows on another hard drive with the same product key?
You can format the hard drive during the windows 7 install.

If you install Windows 7 on a hard drive in a PC, you can install it again after switching the drive. It is no different than if a drive failed and you were replacing it. If you can't activate it, you can call Microsoft and explain that you changed the hard drive. They will reset the activation.
Yeah, if I recall correctly the only time it changes is if you get a new motherboard. Then again I could be wrong.
A new motherboard makes windows think it is another PC, so it won't activate unless Microsoft is willing to help. A hard drive shouldn't be a problem. I would guess it will activate just fine.
(04-24-2012, 08:29 PM)mwhals Wrote: [ -> ]A new motherboard makes windows think it is another PC, so it won't activate unless Microsoft is willing to help. A hard drive shouldn't be a problem. I would guess it will activate just fine.

oh wow that was simple to do. Thanks for the help guys!
Glad it worked out. By the way, there is a handy button that you can use to thank us. Wink