HR Forums

Full Version: Any suggestions on these parts? 1000$
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Pretty much set on what I'm doing, just looking for suggestions mainly on if anyone sees a compatibility issue that I might be missing, or if anyone has a better suggestion on a case/videocard, just because I can't really keep up with what they're releasing. Pretty closely based on the Tier 4 mainstream build on this site, but just want to double check with everyone.

Processor: Intel Core i5-2500 Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz
Mobo: ASRock Z68 PRO3 GEN3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel
VideoCard: GIGABYTE GV-N560OC-1GI GeForce GTX 560 Ti (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP
HDD: SanDisk Ultra SDSSDH-120G-G25 2.5" 120GB SATA II Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
Optical: LG 22X Super-Multi DVD Burner Black SATA Model GH22NS90B - Retail - OEM
Case: COOLER MASTER Storm Scout SGC-2000-KKN1-GP Black Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Also getting Windows 7 Pro OEM 64bit and an additional case fan. Also I am kind of unsure about the SSD. I'm planning on adding an additional 1TB drive later for storage if I do go with the SSD, but I've never used one before so not sure about it or not.

Thanks, let me know if you have any suggestions or if this looks good.
Check the mushkin ssd are they are often cheaper but I would look for deals.
Only thing i noticed is your SSD is SATA II? You should get SATA III they take advantage of the 6 gb/s speed.
I just purchased the Mushkin Enhanced Chronos 128GB SSD for my new build. Note that there is a Mushkin Enhanced DELUXE Chronos model which is much more expensive, but you'll only see a performance gain on heavy workloads. For gaming and normal home computing, the non-Deluxe model is just as nice and is a great value.

Regardless of cost, a SATA II SSD is a waste if your motherboard can handle SATA III. The only reason to consider a SATA II SSD these days is if you're adding it to an older motherboard that only supports SATA II anyway.

The rest looks good and pretty similar to what I'm building right now.
At this point would you guys recommend just waiting until the end of the month when the Ivy CPUs come out?
If you can wait then by all means wait. But if you can't then there's nothing wrong with going through on your build. If your in no rush and would like to see more options then feel free to see what comes out.

Keep in mind though that this usually doesn't mean reduction in prices of the older cpus.
After doing some more research i decided to to just forward with what I have. We'll see how it goes. Wink
I came to the same conclusion. Ivy Bridge looks good, but not THAT much better than Sandy Bridge to wait another month. Plus who knows, there could be some defect with Ivy. Probably not, but at least you know people have put Sandy Bridge through the ringer already. It's proven.
Same thoughts that you had on ivy. And by the way thanks for the suggestion on the other SSD, decided to go with what you recommended.
Pages: 1 2