HR Forums

Full Version: SSD Caching?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I have recently found out about SSD caching,which is much newer than my current home build systems. I do have some questions about it.

I am getting a 500 GB hard drive for non photography files to partition into a Photoshop scratch disk and storage drive,

I thinking of using a Samsung 830 64GB as the SSD cache for the drive. Is the Samsung 830 64GB the best 64 GB SSD to use for this application? There are financial files and spreadsheets I access all the time, so the caching would help speed up access of those files. I would also love if it sped up the writing of Photoshop to the scratch disk too.

I can use it on maximum performance since I have a battery backup that allows me to properly shut down the computer meaning I should not lose anything.

I do plan on a 256 GB Plextor M3 SSD for my applications. Just looking for a way to speed up the Photoshop scratch disk and access to frequently used files from storage.

My larger 1 TB drive will not need SSD caching as it will only contain digital RAW files from photography along with associated TIFF files. It is unlikely for any one file to be accessed often on that drive.
If you're getting a large SSD, there's absolutely no reason to do SSD caching. SSD caching is only useful if you can't afford a decent sized SSD.
It would be for my 500 GB storage drive / photoshop scratch drive. I do plan on a 256 GB SSD for the applications drive. I have no desire to buy a 500 GB SSD.
SSD caching is not worth it in your scenario. Just put the most heavily used programs and files on the SSD and the rest on the hard drive. SSD caching will not improve performance significantly for most files on the hard drive anyway.
That is what I think. Actually 100% of all programs are going on the 256 GB SSD.

I am mainly looking at improving Photoshop scratch speed. Maybe a dedicated SSD in the 30 GB range is good for Photoshop. I don't want to raid two hard drives for it as raided drives are bad for storage stability (raid partitioned as storage and photoshop scratch disk).
You are going to cache with a small 64gb but depending on what you do then you could use as non cached. If just for photoshop which is small, then you are just going to have that installed with an OS. HDD stores all your files which I guess will be anywhere up to about 250mb.

However it sounds like you are going to make what you are talking about obsolete so if you can, don't do it. Why have a 256gb ssd and 64ssd and a 500gb hdd. Buy a big 2tb drive now and you will be better off as it will stay as your donkey drive for many years.
256gb ssd as main.

Not sure if you need a scratch drive if you are going to have 256gb ssd or at least worry about it? files on HDD and program running on your SSD will do it with all that speed and free space.
Photoshop requires a drive to be designated as a scratch drive. It is always recommended to be on a separate physical drive from the windows virtual memory drive. The actual Photoshop program will be with all the other programs on the 256 GB SSD.

I do have a 1 to 2 TB drive specified for the photography files. The 500 GB drive is much more than I need for other files (I currently have a 120 GB drive barely half full).
(04-09-2012, 03:38 PM)mwhals Wrote: [ -> ]Photoshop requires a drive to be designated as a scratch drive. It is always recommended to be on a separate physical drive from the windows virtual memory drive. The actual Photoshop program will be with all the other programs on the 256 GB SSD.

I do have a 1 to 2 TB drive specified for the photography files. The 500 GB drive is much more than I need for other files (I currently have a 120 GB drive barely half full).

Best to not use the 120gb drive in your computer. save it for a usb backup and you could also do that with the 500gb as it sounds like you don't need all the space. more drives equals more failures. Which is why I suggest 1 SSD and 1 big HDD. You can get usb drives that allow you to change the internal drives over and create backups of important files.

As for scratch drive. It is a bit of a throw back. 64bit OS and high RAM will deal with most of it. If 8gb can't because you have super large files then 16gb should be plenty and then some. RAM is cheaper and faster.
So you need to know if you are running 32 or 64 bit as CS4 and 5 can do away with scratching on 64bit.
I am actually putting 32 GB of RAM in this PC. Photoshop CS5 writes to the scratch drive when opening a file even with 32 GB of RAM. The 120 GB drive was going to be left in my old PC, which is being donated to a church.

I have always liked to keep my photography on a really large drive and other files on a separate smaller drive. Just a personal preference. I am just going to use the 500 GB drive for the scratch drive and other file storage.

The separate drives allows me to remove full photo drives and place them in external enclosures for archiving without losing my daily files on the smaller drive.
(04-10-2012, 10:28 PM)mwhals Wrote: [ -> ]I am actually putting 32 GB of RAM in this PC. Photoshop CS5 writes to the scratch drive when opening a file even with 32 GB of RAM.
32gb sounds good. make sure it is the 64bit cs5 and not the 32bit version but I'm sure you know that.

(04-10-2012, 10:28 PM)mwhals Wrote: [ -> ]The 120 GB drive was going to be left in my old PC, which is being donated to a church.
Everyone loves free stuff

(04-10-2012, 10:28 PM)mwhals Wrote: [ -> ]I have always liked to keep my photography on a really large drive and other files on a separate smaller drive. Just a personal preference.
I like to do similar keeps things simple too.
Pages: 1 2