HR Forums

Full Version: Power supply problem
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello I could use some help please on my old computer.

I was playing league of legends last night and all of a sudden I heard a loud pop noise and seen a spark and all power was lost on the computer.

I seen the spark it came from up high by the power supply(I think) but the processor/fan is right underneath that.

Anyways I figured it was the power supply so today I went out and bought a new power supply and installed it/replaced all the cables where I took them out.

The mother board now shows a green light but when I try to power up the system nothing happens.

Could it have been something else that blew and not the power supply? Or am I likely not installing the new power supply correctly?

Any help/suggestions would be a big help thanks guys Smile.
its very possible that you could have had a componet to short and caused the power supply to trip its overcurrent protection, depending on what type of psu and its design you have it usually takes a short period for it to reset, unless you also have fuses in the psu. but with a new psu and if you have it connected correctly it is more likely a faulty component took out the original as well.

does it give any POST beeps? do any fans seem to work? can you physically inspect motherboard and components for burned spots? you can try to disonnect some components one at a time and see if you can at least get some type of POST.

you also mentioned up high from the psu, is this a top mounted unit? if so, the heat its drawing in thru its cooling intake/fan can reduce its ouput capacity, depending on what its operating ambient temp rating is and how far above that temp the psu is operating at.

as far as having it hooked up correctly, you should have 2 connectors to MB, a 20+4, and a 4+4. depending on your graphics card, some pcie connectors from your psu, molex fan connectors, hdd power plus sata, etc. if all the cabling is correct, the first thing i would probably do is disconnect and unslot the gpu, since its the biggest power hog, and see if it will POST something.

good luck
after re-reading your post, this is an old computer. the loud pop was prolly the electrolytic filter caps at the end of their life cycle. im afraid it may have zapped the MB, but you can still use the troubleshooting tips above. you may not have pcie connectors, depending how old, and the gpu will prolly be in the pci or agp slot unless is integrated gpu only. good luck to you.