HR Forums

Full Version: Are SATA III 6.0Gbps and USB 3.0 worth an additional $40 for a Budget Gaming PC?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm working on the next update for the Budget Gaming PCs and I want your opinion.

Simple question:
Quote:Are SATA III 6.0Gbps and USB 3.0 worth an additional $40 for a Budget Gaming PC ($450-$600) or not?

Yes or no?
I would say no. But I'm sure a lot of people would think it is worth it.
I'd say no too, considering that neither of them will be taken advantage of.

Think about it: Hard Drives do not benefit from SATA III, you're unlikely to get a SSD with that kind of budget and how many devices really take advantage of USB 3.0?

You're better off investing that $40 on a better CPU or better video card in my opinion.
(02-02-2012, 10:07 PM)MathieuB Wrote: [ -> ]I'd say no too, considering that neither of them will be taken advantage of.

Think about it: Hard Drives do not benefit from SATA III, you're unlikely to get a SSD with that kind of budget and how many devices really take advantage of USB 3.0?

You're better off investing that $40 on a better CPU or better video card in my opinion.

ditto
(02-02-2012, 10:07 PM)MathieuB Wrote: [ -> ]I'd say no too, considering that neither of them will be taken advantage of.

i agree 100%,imo its a huge waste...and its things like that that i look into bout my build im working on lol which i should be ready to buy when you get the mainstream builds done lol
May I suggest not including the 6.0GBps/USB 3.0 motherboard in the budget build, but including it in the discussion as an upgrade option? Something like "Hard drives can't take advantage of 6.0GBps, and USB 3.0 is barely used today, but if you would like these features to help future-proof your machine, then choose this other motherboard for $40 more."

That's really all it is -- $40 for future-proofing.
That's pretty much what I intend to do, I just figured that I'd ask everyone's opinions.