HR Forums

Full Version: New Setup HD Radeon 6870 Freezing
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey guys I'm a newb to this forum and pc building to an extent. I was hoping someone may be able to shed some light on a issue I've been having. My setup is brand new I just completed my build the night before last but my system has been freezing occasionally. The problem usually happens if I switch between windows but the entire desktop freezes, mouse and all. I just did a clean reinstall of my XFX HD Radeon 6870 driver suite and so far it hasn't frozen but I feel its only a matter of time. It did freeze as I was trying to close Magicka last night where the sound just keeps skipping.

Here are my specs:
I5-2400
Z68 Extreme 4 Gen3
XFX Double Fan HD Radeon 6870
8gb Corsair RAM
Intel 320 80gb SSD
Seagate Barracuda 500GB
Seasonic 620w Modular PSU
Windows 7 OEM

Thank you in advance for any help you may be able to provide.
It just happened again while web browsing, I was downloading World of Tanks at the time.
I'm sorry to hear about your issues SaintSAW. I believe that your issues are most likely due to defective RAM so here's what I'd do to test it:

Run MemTest86+ overnight: http://www.memtest.org/#downiso
You can either get the .ISO to burn it to a CD/DVD or put it on a USB stick.

If you get any errors from that, it means that your RAM is unfortunately defective and needs to be exchanged.

If MemTest86+ reports no errors, let me know. If you get any other issues (BSOD or anything else), let me know too.
(12-30-2011, 04:06 PM)MathieuB Wrote: [ -> ]I'm sorry to hear about your issues SaintSAW. I believe that your issues are most likely due to defective RAM so here's what I'd do to test it:

Run MemTest86+ overnight: http://www.memtest.org/#downiso
You can either get the .ISO to burn it to a CD/DVD or put it on a USB stick.

If you get any errors from that, it means that your RAM is unfortunately defective and needs to be exchanged.

If MemTest86+ reports no errors, let me know. If you get any other issues (BSOD or anything else), let me know too.

I made a newb mistake and didnt fully update windows and for now it is okay. I will still run memtest tonight to double check though. Thanks for the help!
Well unfortunately I am back again. My pc setup for a long time has run with few hitches but recently I have begun to have real problems. I recently purchased Diablo 3 and was able to run it with no problems in the beta on an old version of my HD 6870 Graphics Card driver. Fast forward a few weeks to to 4/25 and I installed a new driver as the Catalyst Control Center (CCC) suite suggested. Now after installing Orion: Dino Beatdown and Diablo 3 I am getting frequent crashes while watching youttube and attempting to play DOTA 2, Diablo 3, or Orion: Dino Beatdown.

When I installed Orion I had to also install Direct X: 9 and I fear that it may have caused compatibility issues. I attempted to uninstall the HD 6870 driver and the control suite using Driver Sweeper and then reinstall it but now I am unable to open CCC and instead I get the error message "Could not load file or assembly "CLI.Implementation' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.' I followed the directions of AMD's homepage here: http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pag...ation.aspx but the problem still persists.

My specs are exactly the same as I listed above but I do not want to cause any more damage I fear I might have committed. Any help would be extremely appreciated and if I need to do a complete wipe then so bet it. Currently my driver seems to be working correctly, but I cannot access the CCC to adjust over scaling so I have large black bars around my display to the monitor.

Thanks,
StJohn W.
Still having a problem getting into Catalyst Manager to change graphic card settings.