HR Forums

Full Version: SWTOR
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hello, I have tested the SWTOR game this past weekend and it was great.

However my HP Pavillon with an Intel 4 series Mobile Family Chipset made the game lousy to play, at 5-10 fps at lowered settings.

I have 4GB RAM and Win 7 64 bit, so no problem over there.

I now have to buy a new laptop at a relatively cheap price of 500$, since I'm in college, or build a new desktop from the instructions on this website.
Here are the requirements for the game:

Processor:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core 4000+ or better
Intel Core 2 Duo 2.0GHz or better
Operating System:
Windows XP or later
RAM:

Windows XP: 1.5GB RAM
Windows Vista and Windows 7: 2GB RAM
Note: PCs using a built-in graphical chipset are recommended to have 2GB of RAM.

Star Wars: The Old Republic requires a video card that has a minimum of 256MB of on-board RAM as well as support for Shader 3.0 or better. Examples include:

ATI X1800 or better
nVidia 7800 or better
Intel 4100 Integrated Graphics or better
DVD-ROM drive – 8x speed or better (required for installation from physical editions only) Internet connection required to play.

Any thoughts?

DB
Mathieu recently wrote a great article the list of the best budget laptops available. You can check that out below:

http://www.hardware-revolution.com/best-...mber-2011/

For your money, you'll get much better performance building a budget desktop for the same price. It comes down to whether or not you want/need the portability of a laptop.
I'd build a desktop if I were you. I was in the same situation as you. Weak laptop, no desktop. No point in having 2 relatively weak laptops. Get a desktop, of course, if 500 bucks includes monitor, mouse and keyboard, then you might wanna either hold off on buying, or search around for some friends that have a keyboard/mouse laying around.
Well for a laptop I just recently got the hp probook 4530 and got an eight gig ram kit to put in it. I play Skyrim no problem at medium settings. That total was around 500 before shipping.

Sent from my rooted EVO 4g using tapatalk.
@ Apex

Yeah thanks I knew about that. Portability would be nice, but not necessary.

@ Phrosty

what's your video card with that laptop man?

@ Final

You're probably right man. I don't want two weak laptops. lol And no I have a screen, case, keyboard mouse already. So I think all I want is 4GB RAM Win7 with a good enough card.

What is the cheapest option looking for a card to meet those requirements ya'll would say?<

Quote:Star Wars: The Old Republic requires a video card that has a minimum of 256MB of on-board RAM as well as support for Shader 3.0 or better. Examples include:

ATI X1800 or better
nVidia 7800 or better

?

(11-18-2011, 06:15 PM)mrchibbs Wrote: [ -> ]@ Apex

@ Phrosty

@ Final

You're probably right man. I don't want two weak laptops. lol And no I have a screen, case, keyboard mouse already. So I think all I want is 4GB RAM Win7 with a good enough card.

What is the cheapest option looking for a card to meet those requirements ya'll would say?<

Quote:Star Wars: The Old Republic requires a video card that has a minimum of 256MB of on-board RAM as well as support for Shader 3.0 or better. Examples include:

ATI X1800 or better
nVidia 7800 or better

?

Well if we needa include windows 7 that makes it A LOT tougher... do you live near a microcenter by any chance?
(11-18-2011, 07:50 PM)Final692 Wrote: [ -> ]

@ Phrosty

@ Final

ATI X1800 or better
nVidia 7800 or better

?

Well if we needa include windows 7 that makes it A LOT tougher... do you live near a microcenter by any chance?

Windows 7 not necessary, XP would do the job providing I have a good card and ram.
Here is the page on amazon that I bought it from. It looks like the price went up to 499.99 so that may not be an option for you. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004RCUIJU

Specs
Intel i3-2310M 2.10GHz processor
4GB of DDR3 memory
320GB 7200 rpm Hard drive, DVD+/-RW
15.6-inch LED backlit HD anti-glare display (1366 x 768 resolution), Intel HD Graphics 3000
Windows 7 Home Premium

I love my laptop and I have no problems playing games on it at all. Granted they may not be max settings but I play stuff like tf2, starcraft 2, Skyrim, Counterstrike Source and others. Smile
(11-18-2011, 08:15 PM)mrchibbs Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-18-2011, 07:50 PM)Final692 Wrote: [ -> ]

@ Phrosty

@ Final

ATI X1800 or better
nVidia 7800 or better

?

Windows 7 not necessary, XP would do the job providing I have a good card and ram.

Well with a microcenter nearby you can get cpu/mobo 2500k and a gigabyte combo for 230, get some ram for I think 40 bucks or less, 35 dollar antec 300 case, 70 for PC power and cooling PSU, 6870 or 6850 with leftover money... but then u won't have an optical drive (borrow someone in college), or HDD (prices are very high), and u will need to use stock cooling options.
Well Listen. Let's leave Windows 7 out of the picture.

I have a case.
I have a speaker set.
I have a keyboard and mouse.
I have a screen.
I have a DVD-RW optical drive.

So what are clearly, my best (cheapest) options to meet the requirements I need?

DB
yesddsad
Pages: 1 2