HR Forums

Full Version: "Official" Battlefield 3 System Requirements
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
To be taken with a grain of salt until the game is actually out, but this can be useful to those of you who are building/upgrading their PCs for BF3.

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/gaming/2011...y-good-f/1

According to Dice community manager Daniel Matros, the recommended specifications, below, will be able to handle "Medium" settings.

Recommended specifications:
Processor: Quad-core CPU
Memory: 4GB RAM
Hard drive: 20GB
Graphics card: DirectX 11-compatible with 1GB of RAM (Nvidia GeForce GTX 560 or ATI Radeon 6950)
Sound card: DirectX compatible
Keyboard and mouse
DVD-ROM drive

Remember, that's for Medium settings.

For Ultra settings, you'll need something along the lines of two Geforce GTX 580 in SLI (!)

At this rate, BF3 will be known as the new game benchmark for PC gaming. In other words, "Can it run BF3?" Tongue
So what ATI/AMD card is equivalent to the GTX 580?
As a single card, there are no equivalent, as a single Radeon HD 6970 is quite a bit slower than a Geforce GTX 580, it's more comparable to a Geforce GTX 570.

When comparing Crossfire/SLI, two Radeon HD 6970 are not too far behind to two GTX 580, thanks to Crossfire superior performance scaling.
(09-26-2011, 08:42 AM)MathieuB Wrote: [ -> ]As a single card, there are no equivalent, as a single Radeon HD 6970 is quite a bit slower than a Geforce GTX 580, it's more comparable to a Geforce GTX 570.

When comparing Crossfire/SLI, two Radeon HD 6970 are not too far behind to two GTX 580, thanks to Crossfire superior performance scaling.
So two 6970s would be comparable to two GTX580s? WOW! I didn't know that. What about two overclocked 6950s from Sapphire?
Slightly slower, not equivalent. Of course, this varies depending on the game/resolution. This should give you an idea: http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/298?vs=308

"What about two overclocked 6950s from Sapphire?"
You mean the ones that can be unlocked to Radeon HD 6970? Depends how far you overclock them. Then again, the GTX 580 can be overclocked too.
(09-26-2011, 08:48 AM)MathieuB Wrote: [ -> ]Slightly slower, not equivalent. Of course, this varies depending on the game/resolution. This should give you an idea: http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/298?vs=308

"What about two overclocked 6950s from Sapphire?"
You mean the ones that can be unlocked to Radeon HD 6970? Depends how far you overclock them. Then again, the GTX 580 can be overclocked too.
Thanks for the link. I might need to update my gaming computer then. :p
Actually, recommended is for high. The Dice Manager made a mistake. I forgot where I read that though.
I honestly don't think you will need two 580's in SLI to run at max. When they said that you will need two 580's in SLI to play at full potential, I think they meant at the FULLEST potential. That means running 3 monitors at once for 3D, 1600p, and stuff like that. Most people are only running 1 monitor at 1080p.
I think the whole "2 580s" is a marketing thing. NVIDIA obviously is putting more resources into this game than AMD as AMD never really backs many games to my knowledge. NVIDIA funds DICE to make the game better, and in return DICE tells people they need two 580s, essentially paying NVIDIA back for the support.
If by ultra super duper settings they mean 32x AA and whatnot, then that kinda makes sense. My guess is that one 580 will be perfectly capable of playing at 1920x1080 with everything maxed and maybe 4x AA. Maybe in the 35-45 FPS range, but that's still perfectly playable frame rates.
I could be horribly wrong, but I don't understand how they could create something so decimatingly amazing.
Battlefield 3 uses the Enlighten engine. It's designed to scale to whatever hardware you have. As far as I know this current generation's hardware can't even max it fully.

Take a look at: http://www.geomerics.com/
Hmm well then I guess I was horribly wrong, but I still think it's a good marketing scheme.
Pages: 1 2 3