HR Forums

Full Version: Build review request for mid-line gaming HTPC
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello, everyone.

I am moving from my long-in-the-tooth dual 1.6Ghz system with a G210 card. It has served faithfully as an htpc/gaming rig, but it is time to move forward.

My usage requirements are very simple. The new system will be primarily for htpc (streaming Netflix, occasionally playing music). I will also use it for web surfing, email, and using Office.

My gaming needs have fallen considerably since having children. I play Lord of the Rings Online, and that's about it. Ideally, I would like to play Civ 5 (which my current machine can just barely handle on the lowest settings), and I would like to be able to play Skyrim this fall.

The htpc's footprint is a large concern. It will be on display next to the 47" LCD tv, so I want it to be discrete (which is why I picked the Lian Li). I dont need a tuner, a blue ray drive, or a sound card. I will pipe sound though my stereo, but I do want HDMI out to the tv for video.

With that, here is my selection:

LIAN LI PC-Q08B Black Aluminum Mini-ITX - $110
GIGABYTE GA-H67N-USB3-B3 LGA 1155 Intel H67 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Mini ITX Intel Motherboard - $90
ADATA 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - $30
Intel Core i3-550 Clarkdale 3.2GHz LGA 1156 73W Dual-Core Desktop - $125
SeaSonic S12II 430B 430W ATX12V V2.3/EPS12V - $70
Any old sata hd - ~$75
Vid card: The 5850s seem to have vanished from Newegg. Any suggestions welcome: a 5750, maybe? - $140
Windows 7, 64-bit

Any tweaks are welcome. I am looking to put this together in the next few weeks during vacation.

Thanks in advance,

hbchrist
Wrong processor. It doesn't work with the motherboard. Get the Core i3 2100.

You could look for a 6850, which is a great card.

The LIAN LI is pretty big for a Mini-ITX, but it's very flexible and not too large.

The power supply seems a bit too expensive though. You can get a 430W Antec Earthwatts for like $45. You could also consider getting the 500W Earthwatts.

Everything else is good.
Necro thread!!

Will this build run Skyrim on high settings?

Thanks,

hbchrist

With Brians suggestions yes it will run Skyrim like a pro Wink.