HR Forums

Full Version: Rage Used Game Ridiculosness
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
http://www.destructoid.com/buy-rage-used...8629.phtml

I just read that RAGE, iD Tech's upcoming post-apocalyptic FPS, will have an awful mechanic to try and reduce used game sales. For those who buy the game new, they will receive a code for the game. This code will unlock portions of the single player campaign....how ridiculous does that sound? I sort of understand cutting out multiplayer (EA online pass) because that costs the company server upkeep and balancing and whatnot. To cut out sections of an already 100% finished part of a game that is on the disk is absurd and unacceptable in my mind. I support developers and tend to have not bought used games in over a year, but this is unheard of.

Ubisoft purposely left gaps in AC2's storyline which it later filled in with paid DLC, which is preposterous in and of itself, but at least that content was actually created post-launch. This content is purposely being blocked on day one, which is downright unacceptable to me. I wasn't planning on buying RAGE anyways. But seriously, this is just unheard of. While I'm not completely shocked, I'm actually ashamed of iD Tech for doing this.

I suppose I can compare this to Resident Evil 5 and Bioshock 2, which both released DLC later that was several kilobytes that were merely unlock codes for stuff already on the disc since launch, but both of those scenarios were not part of the single player experience.

I wasn't going to buy it on launch, but I probably would have bought it on sale eventually. Now, I have no desire to give iD my money whatsoever. It's despicable, seriously.

Your thoughts?
Now what? are they going to create cloud based only games that you must buy the 50percent of the game @ $80 to play it and if you want to end the game you must pay additional $99.99?
75% of developers and 99.9999999999999 of publishers are getting very lazy, with no imagination and greedy. Where is the government When you need it?
Greediness Wins
M$M$ AngryAngryAngryAngryAngryAngry
GREEDTALITY
Rant over.
This is really bad.
I predict that the next generations of gaming will be not dlc, but cloud based so you will not own a thing, increased price tag Maybe 75 or even 80 per game, multiple online services (if you want to play a game online or offline you must have an additional service or even pay for it) like saying paying for psn or live and pay for something like steam or origin, more personal information will be divulged for security reasons. Indie devs must develop games for some of those services to keep the price tag steady, data usage cap, 24/7 online connection in order to play video games, probably no games price drop, but very cheap game consoles, gaming industry try to destroy rent based services like gamefly, games will be shorter Imagine if GT5 only comes with 10 tracks, 20 cars, and no tuning shop and you must buy 5 cars/2 track dlc for $20 and like always consoles will be old and outdated in 1.5 years.
I agree that the trend that we have been seeing in the last few years is not something that I'm in favor of.

I believe that once you buy a game, you should be free to do as you wish with it, outside of making copies and giving them to your friend/family/etc. of course.

Another thing that's bugging me is that multiplayer is mostly online only, with friends that have their own PC. It would be nice to be able to play multiplier on the same PC, plug in several USB controllers and split screen.

But noooo, none of that is going to happen. According to the "average game developer" the PC is "too dangerous" a platform (read: piracy) to allow that.

Quick note: Make sure to keep the discussion PG13+ (What you both wrote is fine, just don't take up a notch or swear, that's all), thanks Smile
You said:

Another thing that's bugging me is that multiplayer is mostly online only, with friends that have their own PC. It would be nice to be able to play multiplier on the same PC, plug in several USB controllers and split screen.

But noooo, none of that is going to happen. According to the "average game developer" the PC is "too dangerous" a platform (read: piracy) to allow that.

Agree. I think it would be the opposite of what devs thinks for 4 reasons
1) PC are several times more powerful than consoles.
2) Universal Game pad support
3) You can set more than one monitor IE: Eyefinity, and configure the sound card to output more than 1 stereo channel (up to 4 stereo channels in a 7.1 sound card).
4)PCs are the most powerful media center (except there is no support for Dolby True HD or DTS MA yet).
And many more.Big Grin
That excuse of split screen for console only is silly at best.
besides, if they put slit screen on pc, many people will be willing to upgrade more their hardware to make the splt screen look like a lan party game on a single screen quality.
Yeah that is rather illogical for why there's no split screen on PC. PC gamers normally don't mind spending 20 more bucks on a cheapo keyboard or mouse. And since we have the ability to adjust graphical settings, the developer doesn't need to worry about finding optimal split screen settings. They really wouldn't have to do anything special whatsoever, they could leave it all to us and our tendency towards tweaking.

Going back to RAGE, seeing as around 48% of all PC games are purchased digitally, that is essentially a guaranteed 48% of your copies sold will be a new copy, and even more new purchases on the physical media side. I think iD should just realize that half of their copies sold will be new is a very good thing and not shaft anyone who's trying to save 10 dollars.